Français

tuition credit reduces my sons refund

Greg

After entering the tuition amount I payed on behave of my son on his return. I noticed I do get the credit and my own refund increases as expected. My question is i noticed it reduces the amount he is getting back. we have been claiming tuition on his behave since 2013. We have always entered the exact amount payed out and let the program handle it. After checking back to 2013 I had noticed the credit amounts the program was entering in seems higher then we entered. it sort of seems like we were receiving the maximum credits offered. (manitoba $5000.00) or something and some amounts have been carried forward. Now is it playing catch up. It reduced his amount by approx $600. Any help on what might be happening would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try calling the u-file help number offered mon-fri if I cannot figure things out.

Has your son been employed in 2016 and was he a full-time student for more than 13 weeks in 2016?

If yes and you entered first his employment income only he would have been eligible to the Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB), line 453.

Schedule 6 would have been produced.

When then you enter his tuition information he is no longer eligible to the WITB, line 453 is empty.

If this is not your son's situation,

please contact the Support group as they may have to see a copy of the file.

UFile ONLINE: help@ufile.ca

UFile for Windows: support@ufile.ca

Archived