Sign in to follow this  
BoersS

Line 236 of Ex-Spouse

"Net federal income of your spouse or common-law partner before the separation (line 236 of his or her return) Warning: Do not use an estimated income below the actual."

For this section in Ex-Spouse, do I use my ex-wife's earnings up to the date we separated?  Or her entire line 236 for the 2016 year?  We separated January 15, 2016 officially and I am uncertain what to place in this box.  Total for 2016, or earnings up to Jan 15, 2016?

Thanks for any directions, or assistance.

Shawn B

I have the same question.

It seems clear from the CRA here http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/303/menu-eng.htmlthat we should "reduce your claim only by your spouse's or common-law partner's net income before the separation"

However, it also seems too good to be true - if the separation happens in early January, then one spouse gets to claim most of the spousal amount even if the other spouse had a large income for the year.

I played with the entries in UFile and it will continue to use line 303 and Schedule 5 to reduce my taxes even if I enter amounts for spousal support I paid. It does that up until the point when the support amount entered gets high enough that it becomes better to use that instead.  

It seems this is a "transition" rule applicable only for the year of separation.

Any clarification would be helpful!

I've been looking for the same answers.  Truly amazing that there has been no response on this yet.  I'm going to stop buying UFile if they keep making useless help file information, and then don't respond to questions on their own forum.