Recommended Posts

Hello. I went overseas to marry. Got wife pregnant. Wife and child finally accepted in Canada 3 months ago. I forgot to add child onto 2016 tax return. should I make change to add child or wait for 2017 tax return. Does child tax benefit owe me months on child tax benefit when daughter was born outside of country? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Jabbour26,

You can use the program to make an adjustment on a tax return that has already been filed. On the "Interview setup" page, in the "Other Topics" section, check off "Adjustment request for a tax return that has been filed" and click "Next". "Adjustment request" will appear in the left side menu. Click this option and select the form you need to fill out on the right-hand side of the page.

You can also  contact the CRA or Revenu Quebec to order the form that you will fill out and resubmit by mail or visit "My Account" at the CRA website ( to complete the T1-ADJ Adjustment Request form online.

If you are using the program, you will have to print out and mail the completed T1-ADJ plus copies of any relevant documents.

You cannot transmit a T1-ADJ via NETFILE. The CRA will send you a new Notice of assessment after they have processed the adjustment.

Regarding your question on child tax benefit, we suggest that you contact the CRA at 1-800-959-7383 or RQ at 1-800-267-6299 for more information.

We give support to UFile users to help properly enter their data into the software. However, we are not authorized to give an opinion on tax questions.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now