happy in the snow

My dad left the country and he does the taxes. Help!

Recommended Posts

Disclaimer: I am totally ignorant to filing taxes due to my father taking on that responsibility

I am a 21 year old university student that lives with my mom and earn no money throughout the year.

My dad jointly files taxes with my mother as the spouse and I am fairly certain I am filed as their dependent. (He files his taxes using UFile and my name was one of the tabs on there).

Recently my mom and dad had a very serious argument and my dad left the country on very bad terms. There has been zero communication with my dad these past months and I am not sure if my father will even file taxes. If that is the case then I would like to inquire how I would go about filing my taxes as a student and for my mom. I do not have access to my father's UFile account. Do I make my own UFile account and just file my taxes? How does my mother file her taxes separately from my father? How do my mother and I take control of our own taxes?

I have no knowledge on how to go about this matter and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Additional information:

My mother has very minimal income.

I just claim tuition fees for university and transportation costs. Do i even need to file taxes?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now