I added my father as a widowed dependent but software is not calculating to claim his caregiver amount unlike last Ufile

Recommended Posts


I used UFILE last year as well and added my father as a dependent. Ufile 2016 was able to calculate the caregiver amount (307) automatically. He is 80 years old and he lives with us. I haven't change anything but when I check the T1 comparative summary, the line 307 is blank. Is there any reason why this one changed or there is bug in the system. CRA actually audit the 2016 and confirmed the status of my dad and send me a letter that they will allow the credit from last year. Please let me know.Thanks!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Connie,

Please find the following link for (CRA) to find out the tax changes for 2017 for Caregiver amount conditions:

NewLine 304 – Canada caregiver amount for spouse or common-law partner, or eligible dependant age 18 or older;


Line 305 - Amount for an eligible dependant


NewLine 307 – Canada caregiver amount for other infirm dependants age 18 or older


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


I am having the same issue with my Medically disabled adult child. Ufile applied the credit last year but this year it is not. According to CRA (per the links above) we qualify, however UFile 2017 is not applying the credit.

Is there a problem with the software??

I suspect since this is claimed on line 307 and this is a new line for 2017, the software isn't picking this up.

Please provide a better answer than the one above.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Antoine7,

I have the same issue with my infirm mother. I've selected "Canada Caregiver amount - Line 307 " under dependent's medical medical expenses...", but I cannot see this amount in Schedule 5 and T1 return.

Please provide a better response.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having the same issue. Canada caregiver amount does not show up on line 307 for an infirm dependent age 18 or older. Looks like a system glitch. I got a ticket number from the help desk but haven’t had any luck with resolution of the issue. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Canada caregiver amount - Line 307 - Federal

The federal government changed the scope of the definition of caregiver by adding that the person must have impairment.

As a result, the federal government abolished line 315 and replaced it with line 307.

As a result, you cannot claim an amount for dependants who do not have impairment in physical or mental functions, including a parent or grandparent who was 65 years of age or older.

We suggest that you carefully read line 307 of the 2017 General Income Tax and Benefit Guide.

See the following link for the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide:

In order to claim the caregiver amount, you must first add the person as a dependant, even if he or she is not a dependant. You can add more than one person if you were the caregiver for these individuals.

To add a dependant to your file, please follow the steps below:

1. Under the "Interview" tab, on line "Family head" or the first person, click "Add a dependant" which is located to the right on this line,

2. Complete the "Dependant Identification" page. Please note that it is not possible to indicate in the field "Marital status" that the dependant is married or has a common-law spouse, because you cannot file the tax returns of the couple within your file. Therefore, in your file, you must choose "single" as the marital status of the dependant. To file the tax return of a dependant who has a spouse, you must do it in a separate family.

3. Even if you have to add the dependant to your file in order to claim an amount for this person, please know that you are not required to file his or her tax return along with yours. In the "Dependant identification" page on the line "Does this taxpayer require a tax return?", answer "No" in the field located on your right.

Once you have entered the dependant's information, please follow these steps:

1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" of the dependant's file, select "Medical and disability".
 2. On the page generated on the right, click on the plus ?+? icon to the right of the line "Infirmity and disability amounts for the dependant".

3. On the page entitled "Dependant's infirmity and disability", enter the required information. On this page, you must indicate that the person has a disability, and to do so you must answer the question "Does the dependant's disability provide entitlement to the federal family caregiver amount?".

4. It should be noted that the CRA may ask for a signed statement from a medical practitioner indicating the nature of the impairment. The note should also indicate that this person depends on others because of this deficiency of physical or mental functions.

5. At the bottom of the "Dependant's infirmity and disability" page, you can share this amount with your spouse by answering the last four (4) questions.

The program will generate Schedule 5 and will complete the sections that best apply to the dependant's income. In addition, the "Disability amount" will be transferred to line 318 of your federal Schedule 1 if the dependant's income is not too high.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now