Connie

I added my father as a widowed dependent but software is not calculating to claim his caregiver amount unlike last Ufile

Hi,

I used UFILE last year as well and added my father as a dependent. Ufile 2016 was able to calculate the caregiver amount (307) automatically. He is 80 years old and he lives with us. I haven't change anything but when I check the T1 comparative summary, the line 307 is blank. Is there any reason why this one changed or there is bug in the system. CRA actually audit the 2016 and confirmed the status of my dad and send me a letter that they will allow the credit from last year. Please let me know.Thanks!

Hello Connie,

Please find the following link for Canada.ca (CRA) to find out the tax changes for 2017 for Caregiver amount conditions:

NewLine 304 – Canada caregiver amount for spouse or common-law partner, or eligible dependant age 18 or older;

and

Line 305 - Amount for an eligible dependant

and

NewLine 307 – Canada caregiver amount for other infirm dependants age 18 or older

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/tax-packages-years/general-income-tax-benefit-package/5000-g/general-income-tax-benefit-guide-federal-tax-credits-schedule-1.html