Child Care amount for mature student

Recommended Posts

I am the higher earner in the family, and my partner has been attending school full time for half of the year.  In this situation, I can claim child care expenses despite being the higher earner.  My question is, do I need to separate child care expenses incurred before vs after my partner started school?  I have some expenses from the first half of the year, when my partner was not in school, and I have some from the second half, while she was in school - am I able to claim all of these, or only the ones since September?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello cmartin,


There are special situations that allow you to claim child care expenses, even if your income is higher than your spouse's, for example, if you paid for child care expenses in order to attend school, or were actively seeking employment then you can claim a deduction for child care expenses.

Please follow the steps below:
1- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".
2- On the page that appears on the right, go to the "Parents and children" group, check the box "Child care (special cases)" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
3- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Child care (special cases)".
4 - On the screen to your right, click on the plus "+" icon to the right of the line.
5 - A new page will appears and enter the information concerning your family.
6 - You must enter the child care expenses in the child's file under "Child care".
For more information on this topic, please visit the following links.

For the CRA:

Also, we suggest you read the information from the CRA on Form T778 at the following link:

For Revenu Québec:

In addition, you may refer to Appendix C at the following link

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the quick reply, what I was unsure about however was whether I could claim all my child care expenses, or only those incurred while my spouse was a student.

For example:

a)child attends day camp during March break, while my spouse was not a student

b)child attends after school program in September, while my spouse was a student


Expenses for (b) can definitely be claimed by the higher earner, but what about expenses for (a)?  There doesn't appear to be a way in the software to separate these out from one another, which makes me think that the CRA doesn't need you to distinguish between them, but just wanted to make sure

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now