Français
John-MTL

Cost of purchasing your new residence error

According to the CRA the Cost of purchasing a new house can only be claimed as a moving expense IF you sold an old house. However, the Ufile Online application seems to allow us to enter amounts under "Cost of purchasing a new house" -- in particular transfer tax and legal fees. Is this an error or am I misunderstanding the CRA's directive?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-219-moving-expenses/line-219-expenses-you-deduct.html

Quote:

Cost of buying your new home if you or your spouse or common-law partner sold your old home because of your move.

Note 

It includes legal or notary fees that you paid for the purchase of your new home, as well as any taxes paid (other than GST/HST) for the transfer or registration of title to the new home.

Thank you.

But my question remains: It seems that the "Cost of purchasing your new residence" section should be disabled unless the user fills in the date field for the date of old property sold. Do you agree? Or again maybe I'm not understanding -- are you saying that we can claim "Cost of purchasing your new residence" without having sold an old residence.

It is the "if you or you spouse or common-law partner sold your old home because of your move" part that doesn't seem to be enforced in your program which makes it seem like we can claim these amounts, but if I'm reading the CRA website correctly, we are not supposed to claim these amounts.

Please clarify, thanks!

Ufile is misleading on this part. I filled costs of buying new residence and I did not fill anything in cost of selling as I did not sell one. CRA sent me a letter that I could only claim buying expenses if I sell one first.

John is asking the question very clearly and is very important question now that I k now Ufile is misleading.