Français
beipan

Line 305 didn’t populate for eligible dependent

Hi I have a 7-year old son, and he was always shown as my dependent in all the years when I use Ufile for tax filing.

but in 2017 tax return, I am missing amount for line 305 “amount for an eligible dependent”, and there is also no schedule 5 generated like previous years. 

Under “control” panel, I already selected “yes” to “pls confirm your dependent’s income is Nil”.

can anyone help? This never happened before. Thanks. 

Schedule 5 for 2017 changed the wording of Line 305:

"If you are entitled to the Canada caregiver amount for your dependant (other than your infirm child under 18 years of age), enter $2,150 (see page 44 in the guide, read the note below, and see line 304 above)."

So basically they made the whole schedule 5 about over-18 dependants. 

The note for Line 305 says:

Note: If the dependant is your or your spouse's or common-law partner's infirm child under 18 years of age, you must claim the Canada caregiver amount on line 367, and not on line 5110.

Where is line 367 in U-file ???

Line 367 in the Guide deals with children enrolled in secondary and post-secondary studies.... Nowhere is the mentioning of infirm dependants.

Hello FredriqueB,

Amount for an eligible dependent

You may be able to claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you met all of the following conditions at once:

* You do not have a spouse or common-law partner;
* You supported a dependant in 2017; 
* You lived with the dependant in a home that you maintained. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you.

In addition, at the time you met the above conditions, the dependant must also have been either.

* Your parent or grandparent by blood relationship, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption; 
* Your child, your grandchildren, brother or sister and she is under18 years of age or has, an impairment in physical or mental functions.

To claim the amount for an eligible dependant, you must first create the dependant's file.To create this file, follow the steps below:

1. On the "Interview" tab, click on "Add dependant" on the line to the right;

2. On the page entitled "Dependant identification", enter the dependant's information. Please note that the lines preceded by a red asterisk are mandatory fields.

3. If the dependant is an adult, you must complete the page
   "CRA questions", as well as the "Revenu Québec questions" for residents of Quebec and claim the solidarity tax credit.

4. If you have multiple several dependents, repeat step 1.

Once the dependant's file has been created, and you meet the eligibility criteria (see link below), the program will make the claim for the eligible dependant amount automatically with no additional entries required.

If you have 2 or more children, the program will automatically select the child for whom the eligible dependant amount will be claimed. However, if you want to choose a specific child for this claim, please follow these steps:
1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" of the child's file, located on the left-hand side, click on "Controls".

2. Then, on the page appearing on the right, select "Let MaxBack decide" to the question "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal Schedule 1 line 305?".

The program will claim the eligible dependant amount on line 305 of Schedule 1 of the Federal return, and line 5816 of your provincial forms (other than Quebec, which does not have an equivalent form).

For additional information on the eligible dependent amount, please consult this link:

http://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-305-amount-eligible-dependant.html

What you've described, is a numbingly simple process of adding a dependant. This process will add the basic amount for one dependant, BUT it won't add $2,150 on line 305 as a caregiver amount.

The "Let Max decide" will just decide if the dependant is a vocational study student under 18 or post-secondary dependent student over 18 (for Schedule 5).  This is how they re-worded Schedule 5, making it less obvious to claim a caregiver amount.

But if the child is 12, and this is not a T-2201 situation (disability tax credit), but an infirmity that qualifies for $2,150 caregiver amount (I talked with CRA last year, providing medical files, and they agreed).

And I figured how to do it.

In the dependant's medical section, choose disability/infirmity.

For question "Is the dependant eligible for the disability amount on line 316? ", choose "Not infirm". 

For question "Does the dependant's disability provide entitlement to the Canada caregiver amount?", choose "Yes". 

Hello,

I followed all instructions, but the credit for a dependant is still not showing on the line 305... is the cause known.  Is it due to a carry forward from 2015 tax year where the bug originated?  2014 tax year is fine.  2015 it did not work but I didn't notice.  2016, no matter what I do, the credit does not show.  Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm not sure if there isn't an error in Schedule 5 - line 305

Schedule 5 says "Enter this amount on line 305 of your Schedule 1" - the amount is $3,359.00. However, the amount that is actually being moved to Schedule 1 is the amount after 5110 "Add lines 1 and 2" which is the base amount + the Canada caregiver amount (11,809.00 + 2,182.00 = 13,991.00), before the deduction of my dependant's net income. Can I fix this or override what is going to schedule 1?

I have the latest 2018 Ufile. I've followed the steps like the administrator indicated but there is no 4-2. I've added the dependent but it doesn't populate in line 305 & I can't find out how to file it anywhere. Can anybody help

Hello Ashcho,

Amount for an eligible dependent

You may be able to claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you met all of the following conditions at once:

* You do not have a spouse or common-law partner;
* You supported a dependant in 2018; 
* You lived with the dependant in a home that you maintained. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you.

In addition, at the time you met the above conditions, the dependant must also have been either.

* Your parent or grandparent by blood relationship, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption; 
* Your child, your grandchildren, brother or sister and she is under18 years of age or has, an impairment in physical or mental functions.

To claim the amount for an eligible dependant, you must first create the dependant's file.To create this file, follow the steps below:

1. On the "Interview" tab, click on "Add dependant" on the line to the right;

2. On the page entitled "Dependant identification", enter the dependant's information. Please note that the lines preceded by a red asterisk are mandatory fields.

3. If the dependant is an adult, you must complete the page
"CRA questions", as well as the "Revenu Québec questions" for residents of Quebec and claim the solidarity tax credit.

4. If you have multiple several dependents, repeat step 1.

Once the dependant's file has been created, and you meet the eligibility criteria (see link below), the program will make the claim for the eligible dependant amount automatically with no additional entries required.

If you have 2 or more children, the program will automatically select the child for whom the eligible dependant amount will be claimed. However, if you want to choose a specific child for this claim, please follow these steps:

1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" of the child's file, located on the left-hand side, click on "Controls".

2. Then, on the page appearing on the right, select "Let MaxBack decide" to the question "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal Schedule 1 line 305?".

The program will claim the eligible dependant amount on line 305 of Schedule 1 of the Federal return, and line 5816 of your provincial forms (other than Quebec, which does not have an equivalent form).

For additional information on the eligible dependent amount, please consult this link:

http://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-305-amount-eligible-dependant.html

I have a spouse but she has no income, so I am claiming it all.

For my child as a dependent, there is no "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal Schedule 1 line 305"

I see a "Do you wish to claim this dependant as the designated child for the working income tax benefit on Schedule 6 of the parent's return" & "Do you wish to claim this dependant as the qualified dependant for the climate action incentive on Schedule 14 of the parent's return" to which I have responded Yes & No

Other control questions are "How to claim the Canada caregiver amount for infirm children under 18 years of age (line 367)", "Should this person be treated as a dependant by the program". "Child included for purposes of the CCB calculation" to which I have responded family head to claim, Yes (most cases), eligible dependant.

Please advise

Canada caregiver amount for infirm children under 18 years of age - Line 367

The title of line 367 has been modified to reflect changes introduced with the new line 307, Canadian amount for caregivers for other dependents who are 18 years of age or older with a disability.

Line 367 - Family caregiver amount for children under 18 years of age:

To qualify, the child must meet all the following conditions:

a) Is under 18 years of age at the end of the year;
b) Lived with both of you throughout the year; and
c) Has impairment in physical or mental functions.

NOTE:

If you shared custody of the child throughout the year, the parent claiming the amount for an eligible dependent (see line 305 of the general guide) can claim the amount from line 367 for that child . You must decide together who will claim it, otherwise none of you will be entitled to it.

For more information on line 367 of federal Schedule 1, please consult the following CRA link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-367-family-caregiver-amount-infirm-children-under-18-years.html

To claim this amount, go to the disabled child's file.

1. In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Medical and disability".

2. On the right-hand side of the screen, click on the plus "+" icon to the right of the line "Infirmity and disability amount for the dependant".

3. In the page that appears, enter the answers to the questions, mainly on the line "Dependent's disability entitles you to the federal amount for federal caregivers at the federal level?".

The program will report the amount on lines 367 and 318 of Schedule 1 of the federal return.

My file # is UB2683015. My child is perfectly healthy, I have added her as a dependant & entered all the relevant information into the interview. She is newborn & lives with both of us. I can't populate her into line 305 which is my goal. I go into the control & I do not have the option stated by the administrator. All the options available are those that I stated previously. My wife has no income, only I work. I am claiming everything, so it should be relatively straightforward.

I do not have investments, foreign property, am not a business owner. Everything is very very basic. All I want to know is why I can't get the option of having her as a dependant & how to fix it. If possible, a call would be more beneficial or have somebody e-mail me with a more indepth explanation would be helpful.