Amending a previous year's return

Recommended Posts

While completing my 2017 taxes, I noticed a few things that I got wrong in my 2016 taxes and I'd like to revise. I noticed in the interview section, there's a "adjustment request for a tax return that has been filed", which generates the "T1-ADJ E" form. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. If I use the "Ufile 4 for Windows 2017" to file my 2016 adjustments along with my 2017 full tax return, is that okay? Or do I need to do this separately somehow ? 
2. CRA says if this adjustment is filed by paper, I need to send in receipts. Just to confirm, if I file this using Ufile electronically, nothing else is required, and no need to send receipts?
3. The adjustments to 2016 I'd like to make are as follows:
A. Adjustment to the amount for "interest" expense for my rental property
B. For rental property , forgot to add new appliances I purchased as additions to CCA (UCC) for that year, so would like to add that. 
C. For my self-employment (T2125), I classified laptop I purchased as class 12 instead of class 50, so I'd like to modify it to class 50 and change the CCA claim for 2016. 
Can I do A-C using " T1-ADJ E"  in Ufile ?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello beraa,

How to request an adjustment (reassessment) to a tax return

You can use the program to make an adjustment to a tax return that has already been filed. Make sure you have received your notice of assessment before asking for changes to your return.

NOTE: We recommend that you keep your previously filed tax return, and prepare separately an amended tax return based on the changes you make. Print this amended tax return and compare it with your original tax return. Take note of the line numbers that are affected, as you will need them when completing your adjustment request.

To do so, please follow these steps:
1- In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", click on "Interview setup".
2- On the page that appears to the right, scroll down to the "Other topics" section, check the box for "Adjustment request for a tax return that has been filed" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
3- Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Adjustment request" at the bottom of the list and, on the right-hand side of the screen, click on the plus "+" symbol to the right of the form you need, either "T1-ADJ adjust a federal tax return" or for Quebec residents "TP-1.R adjust a Quebec tax return".
4- Select the "Taxation year" you want to correct from the drop-down menu to your right, and then enter the relevant information.
5- For the question "Line number of the jacket regarding the adjustment", choose the one that applies from the drop-down menu. Then, on the next two lines, enter respectively the amount that was claimed on the original tax return, followed by the revised amount to be claimed on the amended tax return.
6- If you have multiple lines to correct, click on "+ Add another" to add additional lines.
7- If you have additional information or explanations, fill out the bottom section. If needed, attach a separate sheet with your adjustment request by recording the necessary information. If applicable, provide also the corresponding line number for the credit.
8- For Québec residents who wish to amend both their federal and Québec returns, in the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", click again on "Adjustment request" at the bottom of the list and repeat the procedure.
9- Once you have completed your adjustment request(s), click on the fourth tab "Tax Return".
10- Double check to make sure the adjustment request(s) are completed correctly. Then, click on the "Print" icon, choose the option "Selected pages" and on the list to the right, select the pages to print, i.e. the forms T1-ADJ (federal) and/or TP-1.R (Quebec). To select multiple pages, press and hold the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard when clicking the pages to print from the list. Finally, click on the button "Start printing".

Please note that you cannot submit an adjustment request electronically via NETFILE. You must print and mail the T1-ADJ and/or the TP-1.R. Be sure to sign your request(s) and provide all supporting documents.

Also, please make sure to include a telephone number where the CRA and/or Revenu Quebec may contact you during the day.

The CRA will send you a Notice of Reassessment once your adjustment request has been processed. Revenu Québec will do the same once they processed your TP-1.R form.

If you wish, you can also amend your tax return online by using "My Account" on the CRA website.

For more information, please visit the following links:

For CRA:

For Revenu Quebec:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The makers of this software seem to have lost sight of the fact that one of the most important features of filing online is that nothing has to be printed and mailed. Nobody is interested in an “easy 10 step” process to resubmit not to mention running out to the post office and purchasing an envelope and stamp.  And what if you need to refile 2 or 3 Times?  Be realistic.  An update should be done immediately. 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In past years I was just able to go right on the CRA website and correct the numbers I noticed I had made a mistake on. Not sure if you can do it this way now but you should look into it on their website. It was pretty simple. I just entered the amounts from lines affected. No new forms.

However, my one warning for you is beware that if you change any previous information you might be audited and be in for a long fight on all your deductions. Apparently correcting info means you are doing something wrong in their books and flags you.

After I made those adjustments I got audited for those changes and the years after it... It became a year long nightmare fighting to get deductions I had proof of (had all receipts) and was allowed to deduct. [The idiot adjuster made mistakes in math calculations, rejected claims for simple items like business books due to the title. I had to copy and paste the book info from Amazon and submit it.]

With every audit their goal is to get at least $3500 from you to pay for their time for the audit. Next time I am willing to lose a few hundred dollars for a deduction/expense I omitted by mistake to not go through that hell again.

Just be prepared for it. :) Good luck.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now