Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

where to enter T4A slip box 105

Recommended Posts


The federal government uses the term "post-doctoral fellowship" in the case of a person who has completed both the required academic and professional training required in a particular field.

Generally, the federal government considers post-doctoral fellows as having received employment income. However, in certain specific circumstances, amounts that are received by a post-doctoral fellow can be regarded as a research grant.

For more information, please consult the following link:


We recommend that you read sections 3.36, 3.37, 3.38, 3.58 and 3.102.

The federal government considers these post-doctoral fellowships as taxable income and they will be carried over by the program on line 130 of the federal return.

For Québec residents, if you received an RL-1 with an amount in box O and an RB code, the program will carry over the amount to line 154 with code 01 and will deduct it on line 295 of the Quebec return.

For more information about Quebec, please consult the following link


However, please note that you can deduct the expenses, but they cannot exceed the amount of your post-doctoral fellowship.

We recommend that you keep a detailed record of your expenses and keep all documents in case the CRA requests it.

To enter these post-doctoral fellowships, please follow the steps below:

1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Pension income, T4A, split pension". On the right-hand page, select "T4A - Pension, Retirement, Annuity and other income''.

2. On the page that is generated, go to the "Other information (click on the triangle to see the list of choices)'' section, select the line ''(105) Post-doctoral fellowships" in the drop-down menu and enter the amount shown on your T4A slip or the net amount of your postdoctoral fellowship.   

3. If you have not received a T4A slip but a RL-1 with an amount in box O and code RB, enter $ 0.00, click on the '' Maple Leaf" icon and the line "Enter a different value for another jurisdiction " will appear. Enter the amount of your RL-1 in the required field.




Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...