Français
Sign in to follow this  
Ed H

Declaring spouse net income as nil to net file

I am attempting to file my parent's income tax returns.  Neither of their incomes net or taxable is NIL.

The program states that my father's return cannot be netfiled unless he confirms that the Federal and Income of his spouse are nil.  To correct the problem the program brings me to a page that states, I delcare Net Income of spouse to be nil.  choices are Yes or No.  I have input NO to both and it does not correct the problem. 
I am reluctant to check the boxes as Yes, because the income is NOT nil.

How do I correct the problem and still file an truthful return?

Hello,

Under the new requirements of the CRA, you must confirm that either the Federal Schedule 2 (line 351) or the provincial Schedule 2 (line 5912) is NIL.

In the "Review" tab, when the message, "You have to confirm that your spouse's adjusted taxable income is Nil"is displayed, you must return to the "Interview" tab of the family head to correct the problem.

In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Controls " on your right, go to the bottom of the page and you will find the line "If applicable (click ? For details), please select Yes to confirm that your spouse's adjusted taxable income is NIL". From the drop-down menu on your right, choose "Yes''.

You will notice that you have a second (2) line for "Provincial /Territorial". Repeat this procedure.

Thereafter, you may proceed to file your federal return using NETFILE/EFILE.

Cristina,

So what you are saying is that we are suppose to say "Yes" to the question even though the answer is No, just so we can submit a netfile?

Can someone  answer to Raz's follow-up question?

Spouse has income so why do we have to say yes to confirm spouse's income is nil before allowing to submit via NetFile?

Is it a bug in the software to get around?

/david