Ufile is not letting my Netfile my 2016 return - I keep getting an error message that says the following (below). However, the NAICS code I entered (711218) is definitely correct. I have Netfiled with that code (through Ufile) for the previous 4 years. I even clicked on the link provided to make sure the NAICS code hadn't changed. I tried with several related codes, and it is rejecting all of them (711218, 711219, 711215, 711211, 713990). Please help!

Rejected

Your tax return has not been accepted by the Canada Revenue Agency. It contains errors that must be corrected. Please review the following error(s), make the necessary corrections, and try resubmitting your return. For forms or additional information, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website and the Corrections page on the NETFILE website. For further assistance, please contact us. Most Canadian income tax and benefit returns for 2017, and any balance owing amount, are due on April 30, 2018. https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/iesl/clicktotalk/ntr.action?RefNumber=12501e

Error code(s):180002The first digit of the message number on the left identifies one of your financial statements. The industry code on this statement is not valid. To determine the appropriate industry code, refer to the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) publication dealing with the type of self-employed operation you are reporting (i.e., Guide T4002, Business and Professional Income; Guide T4003, Farming and Fishing Income; Guide RC4060, Farming Income and the AgriStability and AgriInvest Programs Guide; or Guide RC4408, Farming Income and the AgriStability and AgriInvest Programs Harmonized Guide). Please refer to your software and enter the appropriate industry code. A financial statement is one or more of the following forms: Form T776, Form T2125, Form T2042, Form T1163, Form T1273 and Form T2121.

I submitted a request for support to Ufile last Friday or Saturday. Never heard back. Finally called on Monday and waited an hour on hold before getting through.

Was advised to delete my entire return, and re-enter everything. Did that. Still having the same problem. CRA Netfile tech support says Ufile needs to update their system with respect to NAICS Codes.

Ufile, please fix this! Soooo many wasted hours!

Hello kriscourtney,

According to the error message from your first post you're trying to submit the 2017 tax return. Please confirm me if this is right.

Please see a screenshot of the NAICS Codes from the UFile system.

The code 711218 is not available in the system.

image.thumb.png.c08297ade0f3dfac23c8cfa17826227b.png

At the same time, please follow this link so you can find an appropriate available NAICS Code for your Business and retry transmitting the tax return after correcting it:

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=380372&CVD=380376&CPV=71121&CST=01012017&CLV=4&MLV=5

I hope it helps and have a great day!

No, this is for a 2016 T1 General return, not a 2017 return. The appropriate NAICS code in 2016 was 711218. The appropriate NAICS code in 2017 will be 711215. However, I have tried both and Ufile will not accept either of those.

Please advise.

Just tried again, as advised. This still isn't fixed. The CRA says it's UFile's fault... UFile says it's the CRA's problem. Would really like to be able to file my tax return without spending 12 more hours on the phone... I don't know what else to do here.

Hello,

As described in my previous message, it is not in our ability to rectify this, because this is an error from the CRA system.

My last suggestion would be to try to file the 2016 tax return with a different NAICS Code that works. Please select a code that wasn't changed in 2017.

Here are the links that could help you with this:

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=118464&CVD=118465&CPV=71&CST=01012012&CLV=1&MLV=5

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/subjects/standard/naics/2017/concordance-2012-2017

I have been escalated all the way through to the top of the CRA's help and tech support options. They are absolutely adamant that the problem is that Ufile has not updated its software. You guys updated it for 2017, but you need to update the software for prior year returns with the new NAICS codes as well, so that I stop getting the Ufile error message that prevents me from getting to the Netfile stage.

You cannot simply choose any code - you have to use the code that actually corresponds to your business.

If you are not going to fix this bug, then I would like a refund so that I can file with a different provider.

Thank you,

Kristen