Français
The Houses

Submitting Updates and Corrections for NetFile

I am wondering if there's a way to resubmit a return that's already been submitted and assessed?

Case:
We had two T4s come in late, after we had submitted our returns. The adjustments aren't overwhelming, but need to be done. 
I made the changes and inserted the T4s to the appropriate profile. 

The adjustments appear in the Federal Return that I have printed, but I wanted to submit it electronically since I've paid for that service. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if this simply is not a feature available to UFile. If it's available via UFile, I would appreciate any guidance on how to do this update and submission.

I did some research and the CRA site indicates that it's not a UFile feature, but I just need to be certain. Other options are submitting via paper (painfully slow). It seems to indicate I can do it (see below), I'm just not sure how.

From CRA Site: 

Changes to your return

Starting February 26th, 2018, the CRA is introducing the ReFILE service to give taxpayers the option of having an amended income tax and benefit return filed electronically. This service will let taxpayers use NETFILE to send amended returns for a current (2017) or previous (2016) return and will only be accepted through ReFILE if the original return was completed and sent electronically through NETFILE (or EFILE).

But when I look at the products that offer the Refiling service, UFile doesn't appear to be one of them. 

image.png.63380055a6b1ecf98e81d1112926fc70.png

Thanks in advance,

The Houses

Hi The Houses,

The ReFILE service is not available in UFile. Instead you can use the program to make an adjustment to a tax return that has already been filed. Make sure you have received your notice of assessment before asking for changes to your return.

NOTE: It is recommended that you keep your previously filed tax return, and prepare separately an amended tax return based on the changes you make. Print this amended tax return and compare it with your original tax return. Take note of the line numbers that are affected, as you will need them when completing your adjustment request.

To do so, please follow these steps:
1- In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", click on "Interview setup".
2- On the page that appears to the right, scroll down to the "Other topics" section, check the box for "Adjustment request for a tax return that has been filed" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
3- Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Adjustment request" at the bottom of the list and, on the right-hand side of the screen, click on the plus "+" symbol to the right of the form you need, either "T1-ADJ adjust a federal tax return" or for Quebec residents "TP-1.R adjust a Quebec tax return".
4- Select the "Taxation year" you want to correct from the drop-down menu to your right, and then enter the relevant information.
5- For the question "Line number of the jacket regarding the the adjustment", choose the one that applies from the drop-down menu. Then, on the next two lines, enter respectively the amount that was claimed on the original tax return, followed by the revised amount to be claimed on the amended tax return.
6- If you have multiple lines to correct, click on "+ Add another" to add additional lines.
7- If you have additional information or explanations, fill out the bottom section. If needed, attach a separate sheet with your adjustment request by recording the necessary information. If applicable, provide also the corresponding line number for the credit.
9- Once you have completed your adjustment request(s), click on the fourth tab "Tax Return".
10- Double check to make sure the adjustment request(s) are completed correctly. Then, click on the "Print" icon, choose the option "Selected pages" and on the list to the right, select the pages to print, i.e. the form T1-ADJ (federal). Click on the button "Start printing".

Be sure to sign your request(s) and provide all supporting documents.

Also, please make sure to include a telephone number where the CRA may contact you during the day.

The CRA will send you a Notice of Reassessment once your adjustment request has been processed. 

If you wish, you can also amend your tax return online by using "My Account" on the CRA website.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/myaccount/

Thank you and have a great day!

Cristina, thanks for the information. 

2 hours ago, Cristina said:

provide all supporting documents.

Is this just to support the changes?

Or am I submitting anything and everything related to the entire return (ie. all T4s, receipts for all deductions, etc.) ? Either way is fine, but if it's a matter of printing off the additional T4s (which are already on the CRA site as they are gov't issued), then I'll keep it to the minimum related to the actual change from the original submission.

Appreciate any help. 

Thanks in advance,

The Houses

2 hours ago, Cristina said:

4- Select the "Taxation year" you want to correct from the drop-down menu to your right, and then enter the relevant information.
5- For the question "Line number of the jacket regarding the the adjustment", choose the one that applies from the drop-down menu. Then, on the next two lines, enter respectively the amount that was claimed on the original tax return, followed by the revised amount to be claimed on the amended tax return.
6- If you have multiple lines to correct, click on "+ Add another" to add additional lines.

Cristina, I should have asked this before, so apologies in advance.

The adjustments are the result of two additional (small) T4s that came through late.

In theory, they'll affect a LOT of line, but when I look at the T1 summary that is printed, they appear to impact the following:

Schedule 8 - 5034 (the entire Schedule 8 would be new as there is now an over-payment on the CPP entries)

Schedule 8 - 5549

Provincial Form 428 - 5876

Provincial Form 428 - 5880

Provincial Form 428 - 5884

Provincial Form 428 - 6150

So, do I have to do what you said above for those 22 lines?

Do I need to supply a fully completed Schedule 8 ?

Do I need to supply a fully completed Provincial Form 428?

Or would it be simpler (or even an option) to do add the T4s to the appropriate person, and then print off the return papers and send in the paper? (at least this way I know everything that was to be filled in and updated is done so...).

So much for doing my taxes early :-(

Cheers and thanks in advance,
The Houses 

<and deep breath>
I sent the last email whilst on hold with CRA.

Just got off the phone and they suggested this could be done in one of the following 4 ways:

1. Using the Refile service (not available in UFile)
  2. Using the Change My Return feature in CRA's My Account
  3. Updating/Adding the information in Ufile - this would involve adding the two omitted T4s, completing a T1 Adjustment Request, printing the documents (not e-filing), including any Schedule forms that are adjusted, sending in the supporting documents (in this case, copies of the omitted T4s) and providing a letter explaining the reason and cause of the adjustment (in my case, omitted T4s from original filing) and mailing all of the aforementioned documents to CRA.  They did note that I should attempt to note any and all lines in the T1 Summary forms that have been adjusted due to the new information. No calculation fields from other forms are required to be noted (ie. ONLY T1 form fields need be noted as changed).
  4. Send in the omitted T4s with a request note to include these in the filings for the individual and ask for the return to be reassessed.

• #1 is time consuming, but does get my information submitted electronically as well which means priority in processing (average 2 weeks for electronic adjustments, min 8 weeks for paper adjustments). 
  • #2, like #1, is time consuming and in this case would result in me updating 20 entries plus completing a Schedule 8 (not even sure I can just do that there or not), plus the T1 Adjustment form, etc. 
  • #3 is pretty simple too in that if you add the T4s to the individual, it automatically updates everything. You can print the necessary documents. Write a quick note to explain what the reason for the adjustment is and sending in photocopies of the T4s to be updated/adjusted.
  •  
  • #4 is the easiest. Without a doubt, but I fear it opens up the possibility for a full audit of the return (since one would be taking the lazy/easy road). 

I will be taking Option #3 and going that route - ensure completeness and does the leg work so it doesn't tick a CRA rep off who ends up processing the case.

Cristina, thanks for the directions. Had I called CRA sooner and not had this "CRA will never help" attitude, I could have resolved this sooner. Hopefully, this thread will help others who need to make an adjustment and want to know their options.

Cheers,

The Houses