ikrananka

Changelog

Is there a changelog for UFile?

The reason I ask is because I Netfiled two of my family tax returns yesterday and today was going to Netfile another one, but was prompted to update UFile (update 21.13).  Without knowing the impact of the update I was reluctant to install it.

I do believe it is important to know how each update impacts the program and if it impacts the calculations and/or tax returns at all.

Hello ikrananka,

Version 21.13 of UFile for Windows is now available. Please note that this UFile release will also support the electronic submission of the T2203 (Multiple Jurisdictions) Form.

This is new feature in UFile. Please do not worry, it will not affect your calculations.

Yeah...I really am missing a changelog.

Every year I wait as late as I can with even starting the tax return just in case that there is a bug in the importing routine.
Without a changelog I have to assume that any release could fix bugs which could negatively impact my tax return if I don't wait.
I'd love to start entering things earlier, but for that I'd have to see a changelog a few years back with no bugs (in the import routine)let's say ... March and April?

Having no changelog certainly doesn't provide peace of mind using UFile. 

Oooh - another mysterious update on April 5th.

I guess I'll have to wait until the end of April to start doing our taxes if I want to make sure that there are no more bugs and I am not missing out on any features.

Shouldn't tax software be finished by ... well ... maybe mid-March? These constant late-in-the-tax-season updates make me very nervous using the software at all. I mean we are talking about taxes here. Maybe I should go back to paper :unsure:

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion, we're definitely looking into implementing a changelog in the future.

In the last versions 21.13 and 21.20:

• Added the ability to transmit via Netfile the T2203 (Multiple Jurisdictions) form.
  • Improved the wording of some warning and error messages.
  • Fixed an issue where an incorrect warning was generated if the Family Head is in Quebec and the dependent is in another Province.

No more UFile updates are planned for this tax year.

1 hour ago, Roger said:

Thank you for the suggestion, we're definitely looking into implementing a changelog in the future.

That's great news Roger - thanks for the letting us know.

I add my name to the absolute need for a change log. It is incomprehensible an update would not be issued without advising what the changes are and whether those of us who have already filed need to be concerned. That is a Best Practice in the software industry.