Français
Helenph

Child care expense

Hi Helenph

To claim child care expenses, you must enter the expenses in the child's file.

To create a tax file for the child, please follow the steps below:

1. Under the "Interview" tab, next to the "Family head" header, click on the "Add a dependant" option located to the right on this line.

2. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", enter the information pertaining to the identification of the child in the "Dependant identification" page.

3. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" of the child's file, located on the left-hand side of the screen, and select "Child care".

4. On the screen appearing on the right, choose the type of child care service provided (daycare, summer camp, boarding school, and babysitter).

5. On the first line ''Amount paid to the daycare centre for this child", enter the federal amount claimed. If you are a Quebec resident and received an RL-24 slip the amount of "Box C" is the federal expense and "Box E" the eligible Quebec expense.

6. For residents of Quebec, if you did not receive an RL-24 slip but only a receipt from the person, you need to enter the SIN of that person into Box H.

The program will determine the eligibility and the amount of the deduction by applying the relevant limits.

For more information, please consult the following links:

For the CRA:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-214-child-care-expenses.html

For Revenu Québec:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/credits/credit_enfant/default.aspx

I've completed the steps, entering all required information for my child as a "dependant" but the expense is not reflected in any of our tax returns "line 214".  Is it not showing because we aren't eligible to claim.? 

I have the exact same problem...entered child care expense under the dependent's page, nothing shows up on neither of our tax returns.  Is this a Ufile bug new to 2018?

I have filled in UFile (for Ontario residents) that I had income in 2018, my spouse had no income in 2018. I have two children, and I have entered Childcare Expenses under the younger dependant's tab. I have checked CRA T778 elibility, and I could not find anything wrong in my case.

However, I'm also facing the same issue. I had easily added Childcare expenses in previous years. Now, UFIle is not adding it in line 214 of both reports (my spouse's and mine).

Is this an issue with the software? Is there a fix?

Please advise...

I'm eligible for new child tax credit in 2018 but it doesn't appear in UFILE. I think there is a bug in the software or maybe Ufile doesn't have the up to date tax credits for this year.

Yes, there is no apparent reason for not adding these expenses in the Income Tax report. I had in mind initially that spouse having no income would not qualify for the deduction.

However, when following up with a UFile admin's post that suggested a link to the federal document which instructs about "Child Care Expenses Deduction for 2018" (see attached file), you have the following statements:

• "If you are the only person supporting the eligible child, you can claim child care expenses you incurred while the eligible child was living with you. Fill out parts A and B, and, if it applies, Part D."
  • "In this situation, the person with the lower net income (including zero income) must fill out parts A and B and claim the child care expenses unless one of the situations in Part C or in Part D applies."

There is no rule, at least explicitly, saying that having the spouse not earning income disqualifies, or turns ineligible to apply for the Childcare Expense. Even though applying for the deduction would not render any benefit (deduction), I believe that having a T778 form filled with the report and a non-blank 214 line in the report just turns your report more complete and truthful.

t778-18e.pdf