Juge

Your RRSP/PRPP deduction limit statement

I'm a bit confused what to enter in the boxes on this page and whether I should answer yes or no in the drop list in this section.  When I enter what I think are the correct values, U-File results show I am over my $2000 excess limit and I'd be due an approx $40k refund.  As much as I'd love that to be true, I know it's not.  Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you

Capture.JPG

Hi Juge & Antoine7,

I have the same issue as you. I contribute only $2000 and my contribution room from previous is $20000.

It kept telling us we are over the limit.

I don't get what they want from me. How do I calculate the unused contribution from first 60 days of 2017?

It's not even stated from on my NOA.

Hello,

In your 2016 Notice of Assessment, does it indicate that you have unused contributions for 2016?

On mine it didn't indicate anything so I didn't answer at all and UFile didn't seem to complain.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:49 PM, Juge said:

I'm a bit confused what to enter in the boxes on this page and whether I should answer yes or no in the drop list in this section.  When I enter what I think are the correct values, U-File results show I am over my $2000 excess limit and I'd be due an approx $40k refund.  As much as I'd love that to be true, I know it's not.  Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you

Capture.JPG

Hi,

Do you have unused contributions from the first 60 days of 2017 ? 

If the amount shown on your latest federal 2016 Notice of Assessment or Notice of Reassessment includes unused RRSP/PRPP contributions you made during the first 60 days of 2017, answer Yes to this question and provide the breakdown of the amount by entering the contributions that relate to the first 60 days of 2017 and those that relate to prior years in the appropriate lines. 

Why identify contributions that relate to the first 60 days of 2017?
If you are in any of the following situations, it would be important to identify the contributions made during the first 60 days of 2017 so that UFile can correctly calculate your income tax return: 

You transferred a retiring allowance to an RRSP/PRPP during the first 60 days of 2017, you entered it as RRSP/PRPP contributions on Schedule 7 of your 2016 tax return, and carried it forward to 2017 as unused contributions; or 
You want to designate the unused contributions from the first 60 days of 2017 as a HBP or LLP repayment. 
If none of these situations applies to you, simply enter the entire amount as unused contributions from prior years, without distinguishing them from those that relate to the first 60 days of 2017. 

NOTES: 

If you used CRA Auto-fill my return, the entire amount appears as unused contributions from prior years, since the information provided by the CRA does not allow the software to do the breakdown. If you are in one of the situations described above, you must manually proceed with the breakdown of the amount. 
If you used UFile to file your 2016 tax return, the amount of your unused RRSP/PRPP contributions including its breakdown has been carried forward in the appropriate fields. Please review the amount with the one shown on your latest federal 2016 Notice of assessment or Notice of reassessment and make the appropriate changes, if applicable. 

Your unused contributions are not shown on your latest federal Notice of assessment?
If you have unused RRSP/PRPP contributions made during the first 60 days of 2017 that are not shown on your federal 2016 Notice of assessment or Notice of reassessment, do not enter them in this section because the CRA may reject your return when you submit it using NetFile. According to the CRA's instructions, you should enter them on Schedule 7 of the previous tax year. If you did not, you must request an adjustment of your tax return for the previous year.