Sign in to follow this  
trigail

Medical expenses for dependent

I have been paying for my 13 year old braces monthly. The total is under $3000. I am a single parent. I inputted the amount under is tab but the amount is not showing up in my tax review. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi trigail,

Medical Expenses - Allowable amount for other dependents
To claim the allowable amount, you or your spouse must have paid the medical expenses of your dependents, including the children aged 18 and over and the persons who were in your support.

For more information on this topic, please visit the following links:

For the CRA:

http://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/lines-330-331-eligible-medical-expenses-you-claim-on-your-tax-return.html

For Revenu Québec:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/declaration/produire/comment/aideligne/ligne381.aspx

Medical expenses must be paid within the same 12-month period that you have determined for yourself.

By default, the program will optimize the claim medical expenses for your family.
However, if your dependant has paid his medical expenses, she must claim them in his tax return.

To correct this situation, please follow the steps below:

1. In the dependant's file, in the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Medical and disability".

2. On the right-hand side of the screen, click on the plus "+" icon to the right of the line "Force transfer of dependent's medical expenses to a parent";

3. In the page that appears, "Transfer of medical expenses to parent", in the first section regarding the federal government, select from the drop-down menu the option you want, in principle, the dependant should choose "Claimed by dependant".

The program will carry over the amount on line 330 of federal return Schedule 1 of the dependant.

For residents of Quebec, the procedure mentioned above applies to the federal return.

For the second section of the page regarding residents of Quebec, from the drop-down menu on your right, choose the option "Claimed by dependant''.

The program will carry over the amount on line 381 of the Quebec return, as per the information entered in Part C of Schedule B of Quebec.

However, if you paid the medical expenses of a dependent, make sure you have received in your name the receipt and the page entitled "Transfer of medical expenses to parent" choose in the drop-down menu "Let MaxBack decide" option.

The program will carry over the medical expenses to line 331 of federal Schedule 1 and for Quebec residents to line 381 of your Quebec tax return.