Français
Carole Mcc

Won’t calculate tax return

ufile 2018 returns entered, but although there are no errors, it keeps saying it can’t calculate the tax until errors are cleared, and yet the system is reporting no errors?  Can’t do any returns. Anyone else with this problem?

Edited by Carole Mcc
Spell error

Doesn’t help -still will not calculate. Have contacted support but that may come after taxes are due!  Used last year and many prior years on same laptop with no issues.  Running Windows 7 Pro SP1. Why would universal C runtime affect this and shouldnt the software r

people realize this?  Thanks

UFile for Windows 2018 requires Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. It's usually installed automatically with UFile, unless an error occurred, in which case I suggest downloading and installing it manually from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145  .

If you're still encountering issues, please don't hesitate to Contact Us.

I have the same problem. I'm running Windows 7 as well. I also used the same laptop on all previous version of Ufile and never had this problem. I am trying to download now the two updates mentioned above. I'm starting to get a bit worried since I prepare 150 tax returns every year.

23 hours ago, Carole Mcc said:

ufile 2018 returns entered, but although there are no errors, it keeps saying it can’t calculate the tax until errors are cleared, and yet the system is reporting no errors?  Can’t do any returns. Anyone else with this problem?

I am having the same problem and not finding any help.  I have uninstalled reinstalled and downloaded all updates.  Frustrated

23 hours ago, Carole Mcc said:

I am having the same problem and not finding any help.  I have uninstalled reinstalled and downloaded all updates.  Frustrated

I am also having the problem and running Windows 7. When I first purchased the software in mid January, I entered some 2018 data and it was calculating fine at that time. I came back from vacation last week, ran the Ufile updates and now I have the same problem as stated above. I have also installed the updates as directed but no change.

I called Ufile today and they sent me a link to update the universal C runtime in windows. I tried to download it but when it gets to the message “searching for updates on this computer” it gets stuck there for ever.

8 hours ago, KSW said:

I called Ufile today and they sent me a link to update the universal C runtime in windows. I tried to download it but when it gets to the message “searching for updates on this computer” it gets stuck there for ever.

Are you able to download and install the C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 =>  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 ?

I tried to install the C++ redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 but it failed with a message saying that there's already a version installed and I would need to uninstall it before I can continue.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Same issue here.  No errors but Review tab says it cannot calculate.  Iam using an old computer running Windows but never had issues in the past and I don't see any systems requirements

Having a same issue.  Also used this software for years and never had this problem.  Please advise asap if can't be fixed, issue refunds, so that customers can purchase alternate tax software.  Thank you.

Hi All,

I was having the same issue - the Microsoft Redistributable not finishing the install, or hanging. I then searched for general issues with the Microsoft Redistributable runtime and came across this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/trouble-installing-microsoft-visual-c-2015/2cd4d0ce-03c4-4b7e-9ba3-a8e303671847

Near the bottom of the first page is a reply by KeoThy:

Trouble Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.23026

For the Windows8.1-KB2999226-x64.msu and Error 0x80070642: Failed to execute MSU package......

There are some steps to fix the problem:

1. Open Command Prompt as Adminstrator
  2. Type mkdir C:\tmp and Enter
  3. Type mkdir C:\tmp\tmp and Enter
  4. Type move "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\3ACBF3890FC9C8A6F3D2155ECF106028E5F55164\packages\Patch\x64\Windows8.1-KB2999226-x64.msu" C:\tmp
  5. Type expand -F:* C:\tmp\Windows8.1-KB2999226-x64.msu C:\tmp\tmp
  6. Type dism /online /add-package /packagepath:c:\tmp\tmp\Windows8.1-KB2999226-x64.cab
  7. Wait for DISM completed

Note: The Package Cache defend on your machine.

I followed these steps - I'm using x86, not x64, and you need to find your proper Package Cache folder, and I changed the filename in the 'expand' and 'dism' commands to my x86 file.

When I did this, and restarted my Windows 8.1 computer, I went into UFile and it was able to provide my summary on the 'Review' tab correctly!

Hope this helps everybody.

I had the same problem and was very frustrated after spending hours completing my family's tax returns. I decided to delete it all and start off with one return and quickly realized that it was nothing that I was doing wrong. I have used this tax preparation software since 2011 on the same computer and have never had any issues using it.

Download and install the C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 =>  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 ?

Install it, after it is successfully installed close Ufile if it is still open and reopen Ufile and open the file you were working on. Click the "Review" tab and you should see the calculations.. It fixed the problem for me.👍

8 hours ago, Dano said:

I am using Windows Vista Service Pak 2 and 64 bit operating system

what link needs to be downloaded in order to get Review to function 

You will need to Download and install the C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 =>  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 ? Make sure to select vc_redist.x86.exe­ when prompted for the download option.

9 hours ago, Dano said:

I am using Windows Vista Service Pak 2 and 64 bit operating system

what link needs to be downloaded in order to get Review to function 

1 hour ago, Roger said:

You will need to Download and install the C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 =>  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 ? Make sure to select vc_redist.x86.exe­ when prompted for the download option.

this download seems to get hung up - I'll let is go for a while.

further up in this blog is a fix for this - ?

I have the same issue. It was frustrated after many times of inputting the entries with the same message "it can't be calculated", despite of no errors. I also tried downloading the above C++Redistributable, it failed to install. BTW, my laptop is installed with Win8. I have been using this laptop with Ufile in the past 5 years. This is first time I have issue with Ufile.

13 minutes ago, Alnoor said:

I have the same issue.  I have Windows 7 service Pack 1.

Can someone fix this..

Try using the steps I provided earlier on Sunday. When I did that manually, it then worked for me.

I had the same problem yesterday after keying my tax info in and trying to review it. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) on a laptop and have been using UFile since 2010 with no past  problems.  I tried downloading and installing the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 , selecting the vc_redist.x86.exe  13.1 mb file,  but got "errors" during the installation. I found out that I did not have the Microsoft Service Pack 1 installed on my laptop (after reading the "systems requirements " section in attached link),  so I downloaded/installed that from Windows Update and tried installing the Visual C++ Redistribution  link again. this time it installed with no errors. Opened Ufile, selected my tax info file, went to the "review" button and it opened. I haven't gone past this point yet...... still waiting for more paperwork to key in but I expect everything should work ok now.

Also make sure you select the correct file in the link above. One is for 32 bit operating systems, the other is for 64 bit operation systems. Hope this helps.

Currently running Windows 8.  Followed the steps below from UFile worked!

Hello,

Thank you for contacting UFile support.

In this case, you must update the Windows operating system.

The answer is:

UFile and all of our products (DT Max, DT FormMax, etc.) require VCRedist 2015 which is included in the package but in order for it to be installed properly you also need the Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows), which has been part of the automatic Windows update since September 2016. If you haven't updated your Windows PC for the past 2 years, you should download the Update for Universal C Runtime manually => https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows.

Thank you for choosing UFile.

Regards,

Toufik
On behalf of the UFile Team

I am using a MAC and Ufile online and am having similar problem.  Error message reads "Calc error exception" but does not tell me where to fix it.  Anyone have ideas?

Same problem.  I have used the same computer and ufile for several years with no problems.  My laptop has Windows 7 starter and there doesn't seem to be any update for universal C runtime.  Ufile should have provided accurate and reliable information for updating or for minimum system requirements before purchase.  They have lost my business.

13 hours ago, Johnx said:

Same problem.  I have used the same computer and ufile for several years with no problems.  My laptop has Windows 7 starter and there doesn't seem to be any update for universal C runtime.  Ufile should have provided accurate and reliable information for updating or for minimum system requirements before purchase.  They have lost my business.

If your Windows 7 version is up-to-date with the latest Windows updates, it should be able to calculate your return properly. If you're still unable to calculate please contact support so they can help you with the issue.

I just installed a brand new copy of windows 8.1 and installed all of the updates available up to today and I still have the same problem I had before I did the 4 hour time waster.  UFile will not calculate my return even though I have no errors.  It does work fine on my 8 year old laptop with windows 7 though but I like to do it on my desktop (bigger screen).  Oh well, I guess next year I'll have to try something else like Turbo Tax or something after 8 straight years of Ufile. 

I updated my copy of Windows 8.1 today and still get the same problem. Also, Download from CRA doesn't work, just get the unhelpful message "Oops, something has gone wrong!" Everything has been working fine for many years up till now. Support doesn't reply to requests on Support Assistant messages or to  support@ufile.ca after 7 days. The UFile support line, carefully hidden by Ufile, 1 (514( 733-8414 is of no help either, even if they tell you to "Try again" after being on hold for 1 hour.

I have entered all tax info for 3 of 4 family members and when I click the review tab I get the following result:

"

Tax calculation failed
No tax return was calculated.
Errors for: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Calc error exception, this can explain this.

"

Can someone please assist me with this ?

An update to yesterday's post

I got through to a support representative first thing this morning (Help line hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm) and was told to install the Update for Universal C Runtime as mentioned above by ChrisB. I had tried it yesterday with no luck, got message that it wasn't applicable for my machine. I also installed the latest updates to Windows 8.1, 5 more since yesterday, and also an update from Parallels Desktop.

After several re-boots and another failed attempt at installing the Universal C update, I tried again and it worked.

The Review step now works and I was able to Download from CRA.

Although this problem seems to be resolved, UFile support is unacceptable. I still have no reply to my online support requests of 8 days ago. I likely will not use UFile again. They apparently are understaffed and clearly are not concerned with customer support.

Here is the email I got from the Help Line:

Hello,

If you view the results in the "Review" tab, and you receive the message that the tax return is not calculated, but it has no errors. You must update their operating system (Windows).

UFile and all of our products (DT Max, DT FormMax, etc.) require VCRedist 2015 which is included in the package but in order for it to be installed properly you also need the Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

* Please make sure that you choose the option that applies to your computer 
(For Example: Windows 7 x64 bits) for the program to work correctly.

When the download is complete, click on the download to install.

After installation is complete, restart your computer.

***************** Mar 21 Post ******

I updated my copy of Windows 8.1 today and still get the same problem. Also, Download from CRA doesn't work, just get the unhelpful message "Oops, something has gone wrong!" Everything has been working fine for many years up till now. Support doesn't reply to requests on Support Assistant messages or to  support@ufile.ca after 7 days. The UFile support line, carefully hidden by Ufile, 1 (514( 733-8414 is of no help either, even if they tell you to "Try again" after being on hold for 1 hour.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:27 AM, Roger said:

Are you able to download and install the C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 =>  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 ?

Listen Support. What kind of a BS answer is this? Fix the f'ing thing. It is not up to users to test this POS software on the fly. FIX IT! 

On 2/19/2019 at 11:13 PM, Carole Mcc said:

Same here. I might better have done this manually. Can't believe Ufile didn't test this software. 

On 2/19/2019 at 11:13 PM, Carole Mcc said:

WTF is going on with this. Problem has been known since Feb and Ufile has no response. Selling defective software, tax software at that (obviously not tested) is akin to FRAUD. Reuters, what gives? You are now in the business of ripping off Canadians?

On 4/2/2019 at 10:06 PM, sethtuengel said:

I am getting the error with a mac but i can't download a microsoft product. What do we do?

UFile, your lack of response is infuriating!!! This has been an issue on this forum since February and it is still not addressed. This is a case of Take Their Money and Run. Oh, it doesn't work, "To bad, so sad". 

I am getting the error with a mac but i can't download a microsoft product. What do we do?

UFile, your lack of response is infuriating!!! This has been an issue on this forum since February and it is still not addressed. This is a case of Take Their Money and Run. Oh, it doesn't work, "To bad, so sad". 

On 3/24/2019 at 5:59 PM, Diane P said:

Same problem will not calculate. Anyone know if this will be fixed?

On 3/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, dave999 said:

An update to yesterday's post

I got through to a support representative first thing this morning (Help line hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm) and was told to install the Update for Universal C Runtime as mentioned above by ChrisB. I had tried it yesterday with no luck, got message that it wasn't applicable for my machine. I also installed the latest updates to Windows 8.1, 5 more since yesterday, and also an update from Parallels Desktop.

After several re-boots and another failed attempt at installing the Universal C update, I tried again and it worked.

The Review step now works and I was able to Download from CRA.

Although this problem seems to be resolved, UFile support is unacceptable. I still have no reply to my online support requests of 8 days ago. I likely will not use UFile again. They apparently are understaffed and clearly are not concerned with customer support.

Here is the email I got from the Help Line:

Hello,

If you view the results in the "Review" tab, and you receive the message that the tax return is not calculated, but it has no errors. You must update their operating system (Windows).

UFile and all of our products (DT Max, DT FormMax, etc.) require VCRedist 2015 which is included in the package but in order for it to be installed properly you also need the Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

* Please make sure that you choose the option that applies to your computer 
(For Example: Windows 7 x64 bits) for the program to work correctly.

When the download is complete, click on the download to install.

After installation is complete, restart your computer.

***************** Mar 21 Post ******

On 3/21/2019 at 6:30 PM, Exscouse said:

I have entered all tax info for 3 of 4 family members and when I click the review tab I get the following result:

"

Tax calculation failed

"

On 3/21/2019 at 6:30 PM, Exscouse said:

"

Tax calculation failed

"

On 3/16/2019 at 5:01 PM, AWG said:

I just installed a brand new copy of windows 8.1 and installed all of the updates available up to today and I still have the same problem I had before I did the 4 hour time waster.  UFile will not calculate my return even though I have no errors.  It does work fine on my 8 year old laptop with windows 7 though but I like to do it on my desktop (bigger screen).  Oh well, I guess next year I'll have to try something else like Turbo Tax or something after 8 straight years of Ufile. 

I had the same problem as many others, namely could not get through the Review step. Asks for correction of errors, but none found, etc. I bit the bullet and downloaded all the many updates that have accrued for Windows 7. Now the UFile program works. 

The link UFile provide does not apply to Windows 10.
I have the same issue using their web version, meaning nothing to do with any PC software.
Considering we are at 8 days of the final due date, and this is a known problem since Feb, these guys are not serious.
You just lost a 10 years + old customer.  Too bad.