Français

I have been unable to figure out how to disable the Climate Action Incentive when you do not qualify for it.  If you do not put anything in the box in the "CRA Questions Section" the program still applies the credit on line 449.

On Page 2 of the Schedule 14, Line 6114, the schedule states that you did not reside outside of a Metropolitan Area on Dec 31 2018, which is correct.

The only way I am able to stop it from applying the credit is to answer yes to the Diplomat Question.

Does anyone have a workaround fro this issue? 

When you press the ? Button:

For the purpose of the CAI supplement for residents of small and rural communities, you must have resided outside of a census metropolitan area (CMA) on December 31, 2018, as defined by Statistics Canada in the last census they published before 2018.

Therefore, you cannot claim the supplement for residents of small and rural communities if your principal place of residence was located in one of the following:

New Brunswick CMAs:

• Moncton, or
  • Saint John

Ontario CMAs:

• Barrie,
  • Belleville,
  • Brantford,
  • Greater Sudbury,
  • Guelph,
  • Hamilton,
  • Kingston,
  • Kitchener-CambridgeWaterloo,
  • London,
  • Oshawa,
  • the Ontario part of Ottawa-Gatineau,
  • Peterborough,
  • St. Catharines-Niagara,
  • Thunder Bay,
  • Toronto, or
  • Windsor.

Manitoba CMA:

• Winnipeg.

Saskatchewan CMAs:

• Saskatoon or
  • Regina.

It's my understanding that you get the climate action incentive $, but in addition, there is a supplement of 10% for residents in small and rural communities. So if you're in Ontario, and you select, for example CMA Windsor as you live in Windsor, then you get the incentive.  If, however, you live in a smaller community outside of Windsor say like Leamington, you select 'outside of a census metropolitan area, and you will get the climate action incentive + a 10% supplement.

Can my wife and I each claim $154 (by filing a Schedule 14 with each of our returns)? My reading of Schedule 14 suggests that the CAI is location-based (i.e.: residence-based) and, as such, the CAI would be limited to $154 + $77 = $231. There seems to be some conflicting information out there suggesting that each Ontarian is entitled to the $154. 

Where do i see this Schedule 14 to fill out on my Ufile Online? I saw the one on the Questionnaire where you have to choice your area of residency and chose mine, but do i need to fill out anything else after that? If so where do i find it, and how to fill it. Thanks

Hello dauphne,

Climate Action Incentive (CAI)

As of January 1, 2018, the federal government announced that it was introducing the Climate Action Incentive (CAI).

This credit is available to individuals' resident in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick on December 31 of the tax year.

This credit will be refundable and entered on line 449 of the federal return and Schedule 14 will be produced by the program for residents of the provinces listed above.

A supplement is available for residents of rural and small communities if your principal place of residence was outside a Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) on December 31, 2018 , as determined by Statistics Canada in the last census.

To enter whether you live in a metropolitan area or outside of a metropolitan area, you must answer a question on the "CRA questions" section under "Climate Action Incentive". You must select the principal place of residence of the taxpayer on December 31. Choose from the drop-down menu, the option that suits you.

The program will determine the amount based on the information you give.

Only one request can be made for a couple and the credit cannot be shared.

There is a supplement for your "Eligible Spouse or common-law partner" or for an "Eligible Dependant (s)".

An eligible person was your child, who was under 18 years of age on December 31, and resided with you.

A dependant cannot be a person over 18 years of age.

For more information, please see the new "Schedule 14" that will be added to the tax packages for these provinces.

On 3/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, Ellie'sQueries said:

You are so right, I just did some further reading and everyone in the 4 provinces gets the credit and the rural communities get the additional supplement.  Thank you so much for clarifying!

That may answer my question I sent to UFile.....I selected "Let MaxBack decide"
for me and it gave me $154 credit because it falls in the 4 provinces and the supplement
is for outside CMA which is addition supplement that I do not qualify.

The question was:
SCHEDULE 14, Line 449  Climate Action Incentive....I allowed UFile  to
determine eligibility by selecting "Let MaxBack to decide" if it applies or
not? But I am not certain if $154 credit accepted by the software is
correct because Mississauga is considered to be part of Toronto area as
shown on the Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) map.  Thus, clearly
Mississauga is not a rural, small community to qualify, although its in
Ontario.  Should I then select "no" instead of "maxback to decide"? Please
confirm.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:18 PM, betty Parent said:

What do I select from the Interview Setup menu in order to apply for the Climate Action Incentive?  where do I find SCHEDULE 14?

On 3/7/2019 at 9:56 AM, dauphne said:

Where do i see this Schedule 14 to fill out on my Ufile Online? I saw the one on the Questionnaire where you have to choice your area of residency and chose mine, but do i need to fill out anything else after that? If so where do i find it, and how to fill it. Thanks

In Interview setup, just right after refund/balance owing is section called CONTROLS... Scroll to Schedule 14...Do you wish to claim the Climate action incentive (line 449)? Select Let MaxBack decide....since your address his in the system...it will determine for you where you are located with respect to Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) . Then the software will determine 1) the 4 province base amount 2) if you qualify for outside of the CMA for additional 10% supplement. I believe this is how it works?  If someone disagrees please respond.

I am completing a return for my daughter only, her spouse's return is being completed by another person. So I am using the "net income only" option to insert her spouse's net income. UFile claims the CAI credit on completion of my daughter's return & there doesn't seem to be any option NOT to claim the CAI (so that her spouse can claim the credit on completion of his return by his tax preparer)

Goto CRA questions in the interview tab. Scroll to Climate ACtion Incentive and select place for residency.  Goto Tax Return tab, scroll to schedule 14 pg2 on the left pane.  You can validate the software has claimed the base amount $154 for yourself and $77 for spouse/common-law.  However, I have dependents and I cannot figure out how to claim for dependents.  Where do I trigger the software to automatically claim for dependents?  As you can see box 6013 is empty and each dependent upto max of 2 are eligible for $38.

I am also having difficulty with this and am using ufile pro.  If one spouse's tax return was completed by another accountant and the credit for both was claimed on the other tax return, there does not seem to be an option to override the climate credit(s) for my client.  I don't want to claim duplicate credits(s) so how can I fix this?  I also sent a query to the support desk a couple of days ago but have not heard anything back yet.  

Thank you in advance for your quick response

Apparently UFile not claiming spouse climate action incentive!

I am filling returns for me and for my wife (NIL income) together.

No matter what combination of choices I make in control, I only get line 6010 of Schedule 14 filled with $154.  Line 6011 is blank, so I am not getting the $77 I should get for my wife.  I tried the combinations with Yes for me, No for her, Let MaxBack decide in one or both places...  The CRA question is properly set with CMA - Toronto for both.

How can I convince UFile to fill in line 6011?

UPDATE:

nm, one of the comboboxes on CRA Questions for my wife was by mistake set to Yes and making her illegible for the credit.

Thanks for the UFile support people for the prompt response and solution.

Edited by Fernando
Solution found

It is VERY clear to everyone, except to the people who built Ufile, that only ONE person in the family is allowed to claim this credit/refund. I've already done so and have already filed my return, but how can I stop Ufile from auto-calculating this refund and including it on HER return as well! 
LISTEN, ONLY ONE IS ALLOWED PER FAMILY..!!!!, but it calculates it on every single return no-matter what and cannot be turned off? Who built this thing?