Français
Julius Sy

Not Generating Tax Return - Ufile for Windows 2018

I completed the Review of my returns without any error. When I clicked the Tax Return tab, I keep on getting an error message saying: "Oops, something has gone wrong! Would you like to start the Support assistant to receive assistance on this issue."

Anybody know how to fix this problem?

Me too.  I contacted the support people who sent me links to useless info. I replied as directed and nothing! WTF!  They should be called out on this.  I'm going to but something else unless I get an answer soon.

I found an answer to this problem elsewhere in this community.  I tried it and it worked for me. I'm not a techie but I will try to explain the apparent problem and solution.

The problem for me was that after entering all of my data with no errors, I tried to proceed to the Review.  At first it did not seem to load but after a few minutes it did and I was able to review the summaries of both mine and my wife's return.  However when I then proceeded to the next step to view and print our Returns, it hung up.  The "in program" help and checking that the program was up-to-date was of no benefit.  I emailed UFile customer support and the reply was useless so I replied as such and after 2 days I have still not gotten a reply from them.  So, I searched the net and did manage to find a possible solution that someone had posted regarding their UFile 2017.  I decided to check it out with UFile 2018 and it worked for me.

The problem seems to be that UFile requires the previous version to be installed in the same type of directory.  Right click on your UFile 2018 and check its "properties" to see where it is installed.  For me it was installed in the root directory of "C:\Program Files (x86)\".  Then right click on your icon for UFile 2017 and check its properties to see where it is installed.  For me it was installed in its own directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\UFile 2017".  So, in my case I needed to uninstall UFile 2018, create a new directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\UFile 2018", and re-install UFile 2018 by directing it at the appropriate prompt to install into "C:\Program Files (x86)\UFile 2018".  After all of that the program now works normally.

For you the solution may be slightly different if your UFile 2017 is not installed in its unique directory, but I suggest that if UFile 2017 and UFile 2018 are both installed in the same pattern of directory, you will not have this problem.

Also, I had no problem loading the tax data that I had previously created, but to be safe, I did make an additional copy elsewhere just in case.  Also just be safe, I jotted down my validation code for the program in case I needed it during the new install, however it was not required, perhaps because I bought my copy online and I downloaded it the second time from the link provided in my registration email.  

Anyways, thanks to the poster re. his solution for UFile 2017. It worked for me.  I thought I should pass it on.

Good luck everyone!

And, no thanks to UFile Customer Support.  They are totally useless.

Thanks Smedley,

I had the same issue and I was at the point to buy Turbotax  to complete my tax return I found your message tried and done!!!

It's so unfortunate that no one from the technical team appreciate your solution and share with others.

I'll copy your message under mine .

I'm totally agree with you about tech support.. for sure I'll go with Turbo next year.. I spent more time to download other suggestions and read comments  than preparing by tax return.

Thanks again 

I am having the same problem, unfortunately your fix didn't work.   Both Ufile 2018 and Ufile 2017 are in the "C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\UFile2018/" and "C:\ProgramFiles(x86)UFile2017\

anyone try anything else?

thanx

It looks like this problem happens if your Ufile tax data file in the format of "JohnDoe_and_family tax 2018.u18" resides in the same folder where you installed the Ufile 2018 software.

After entering your tax information for 2018 (The Interview process), save your file in any other folder, but not in the folder where you installed your Ufile 2018 software.

For example, I installed my UFile 2018 software in C:\Taxes\Ufile 2018. By default, Ufile 2018 will save my Ufile data file as C:\Taxes\Ufile 2018\Julius Sy_and_family tax 2018.u18. I got around the problem by copying "JuliusSy_and_family tax 2018.u18" from C:Taxes\Ufile 2018 to c:\Taxes\Ufile 2017. The next time I open Ufile 2018, I specify the file name C:\Taxes\Ufile 2017\Julius Sy_and_family tax 2018.u18, the "oops..." problem did not occur.

I even tried saving the file in my desktop, it works too. 

Hope it helps.

What I ended up doing is:

Create a folder called "Data File" in C:\Taxes\Ufile 2018 and save my Ufile tax data file in the "Data File" folder. It is "cleaner" than saving it in my Ufile 2017 folder.

After playing with this problem some more, I found out what was causing the problem.

The problem is with the "Continue on Recent" button. If I open my tax file by pressing the "Continue on Recent" button, I always get the problem.

If I click on the "Open An Existing File" button, and select my data file, I don't have any problem Reviewing or Generating the Tax return.

It does not matter where the data file exists. It can be saved in the same folder where the UFile Software in installed.

Hope this will help Ufile fix the problem.