Français
Sign in to follow this  
ng2608@rogers.com

Investment income mysteriously transferred to my spouse

Hello,

I started doing my return for 2018 today. I downloaded the  slips from CRA and apply automatically to my UFILE software.

for some strange reason some of the investment income (dividends box 120) automatically got moved to my spouse return and there is

no way to access those slips to edit or anything. I must transfer them back to my return otherwise she has a higher income and must pay more tax.

Please help as this is a strange bug in the software.

Carlos

When you did the data entry for that specific tax slip, did you indicate this was a joint account and were sharing X% of the slip with your spouse?  The individual who actually owns the holdings should be reporting the investment income on that person's own tax return (called attribution of income by CRA).

Just so I am clear on this.  When I enter the investment information on the tax slips, and indicate a 50% split with my spouse, nothing shows up explicitly on my spouse's return.  I assume UFile manages my spouse's 50% in the background.  This is how it should be, correct?  Thank you.

It has to show up on your spouse's return. If you are designating yourself as 'head of household' and have filled in relevant spousal data on the next tab, UFile should automatically populate your spouse's return for his/her 50% share of investment income.