Français

Line 105 and Line 130 Scholarships & Awards

Goldie

I am completing the 2018 tax return and have to enter Scholarship and Awards on Line 105.  I selected Part-time student Award.  I then calculated the Scholarship Exemption for a part time student as per CRA's guideline and entered the small difference on Line 130 as Other Income.  I now get a Warning Message that says:  "In order to correctly calculate the exempt portion of a scholarship, fellowship or bursary eligible for part-time qualifying students, an entry is required in the page Part-time program details if you received scholarship, fellowship, and bursary income to be included at line 130 to indicate the tuition fee and costs of program-related material".  Is this just a reminder message or an actual warning that I have missed entering something?  The system does say the return qualifies for Netfile so not sure if I should send it or fix something before I send it.  Any help would be appreciated.    Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

To enter an amount of a bursary or scholarship shown in Box 105 of a T4A slip, or for Quebec residents, in box O code RB of an RL-1 slip, please follow these steps:

1 - In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2 - On the page to the right, go to the group "Pension", check the box "Pension income, other income and split pension (T4A, T4A(OAS), T4A(P), T4A-RCA, T4RSP, T4RIF, T1032)" then click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3 - Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Pension income, T4A" and on the screen to the right, click on the plus "+" symbol next to the line "T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income".

4 - In the page that appears, go to the line "Other information (click on the triangle to scroll the list of choices)" in the middle of the page, you must choose one of two (2) options, For the full-time program, select the option "(105)) Scholarships, Maintenance or Perfection (Box O RB Code)", if your program is part-time choose the option "(105) Scholarships". prog. part-time (box O code RB)"in the drop-down menu and in the field to your right enter the amount.

5 - NOTE - If you have received a scholarship for a part-time program, go to "Education, studies, student loans" on the page that appears, click on the sign icon plus "+" located to the right of the line "Part-time program information if you have scholarship / development / maintenance income to be included on line 130".

6 - Enter the name of the program and on the second line "Tuition and costs of part-time study materials paid for the current year". This amount will be used to deduct part or all the scholarship related to a part-time study program;

7 - For Quebec residents, if the amount in Box O of the RL-1 differs from the one shown on the T4A slip, click on the "Maple Leaf" icon to the right of the field. Another field will appear and enter the amount shown in Box O of your RL-1. This box will only be displayed if you have previously entered the federal amount or $0.00 if you have not received a T4A slip.

The amount will be transferred by the program to line 130 of the federal return and line 154 of the Quebec return, and Code 01 will be entered on Quebec line 153 (if applicable).

However, if you are enrolled in full-time postsecondary studies, no amount will be entered on line 130 of the federal return.

For part-time students, an amount could be reported on line 130 of the federal return. It will be the amount of the scholarship minus the $ 500 basic exemption + the amount you entered at point 6.

For residents of Quebec, there is no impact, an amount will appear on line 295 of the Quebec return to reduce the amount on line 154.

For more information, please consult the following links;

For the CRA

http://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/line-130-other-income/line-130-scholarships-fellowships-bursaries-study-grants-artists-project-grants-awards.html

Link for Part Time Student Scholarship

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/line-130-other-income/scholarship-exemption-part-time-enrolment.html

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, DENK said:

Hi,

To enter an amount of a bursary or scholarship shown in Box 105 of a T4A slip, or for Quebec residents, in box O code RB of an RL-1 slip, please follow these steps:

1 - In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2 - On the page to the right, go to the group "Pension", check the box "Pension income, other income and split pension (T4A, T4A(OAS), T4A(P), T4A-RCA, T4RSP, T4RIF, T1032)" then click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3 - Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Pension income, T4A" and on the screen to the right, click on the plus "+" symbol next to the line "T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income".

4 - In the page that appears, go to the line "Other information (click on the triangle to scroll the list of choices)" in the middle of the page, you must choose one of two (2) options, For the full-time program, select the option "(105)) Scholarships, Maintenance or Perfection (Box O RB Code)", if your program is part-time choose the option "(105) Scholarships". prog. part-time (box O code RB)"in the drop-down menu and in the field to your right enter the amount.

5 - NOTE - If you have received a scholarship for a part-time program, go to "Education, studies, student loans" on the page that appears, click on the sign icon plus "+" located to the right of the line "Part-time program information if you have scholarship / development / maintenance income to be included on line 130".

6 - Enter the name of the program and on the second line "Tuition and costs of part-time study materials paid for the current year". This amount will be used to deduct part or all the scholarship related to a part-time study program;

7 - For Quebec residents, if the amount in Box O of the RL-1 differs from the one shown on the T4A slip, click on the "Maple Leaf" icon to the right of the field. Another field will appear and enter the amount shown in Box O of your RL-1. This box will only be displayed if you have previously entered the federal amount or $0.00 if you have not received a T4A slip.

The amount will be transferred by the program to line 130 of the federal return and line 154 of the Quebec return, and Code 01 will be entered on Quebec line 153 (if applicable).

However, if you are enrolled in full-time postsecondary studies, no amount will be entered on line 130 of the federal return.

For part-time students, an amount could be reported on line 130 of the federal return. It will be the amount of the scholarship minus the $ 500 basic exemption + the amount you entered at point 6.

For residents of Quebec, there is no impact, an amount will appear on line 295 of the Quebec return to reduce the amount on line 154.

For more information, please consult the following links;

For the CRA

http://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/line-130-other-income/line-130-scholarships-fellowships-bursaries-study-grants-artists-project-grants-awards.html

Link for Part Time Student Scholarship

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-income/line-130-other-income/scholarship-exemption-part-time-enrolment.html

Hi,

I am a full time PhD student in Quebec, receiving a scholarship.

I followed your instruction and entered the number on my T4A slip Box 105 at the appropriate place on my Ufile web account.

However, your explanation was a bit vague about students in Quebec. The amount written on Box O of my RL-1 slip is the exact same amount as on my T4A slip; what should I exactly do in this case? 1. click on maple leaf sign and re-enter the same number?, 2. do not enter anything? or 3. create a new line to enter the same amount next to the maple leaf sign? or what?

Thanks

Archived