Français
Sign in to follow this  
jlrempel

Married to Permanent Resident, How Do We File Separately?

My American husband moved here August 24th, 2018 as a permanent resident. We have since separated and he moved out March 10, 2019. I do not have his tax information/SIN, can not contact him and figured we could file separately. I'm not able to find which tabs or options to pick in order to pull this off. Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

You may need to ask a tax accountant how to deal with this. The issue here is that as of Dec 31, 2018 you were married in the eyes of CRA and have to record it that way on your tax return. It doesn't matter yet to CRA what happened after Dec 31st....that is an issue for the 2019 tax year.

IF I was to make an assumption on my own, without expert advice, I would simply fill out the tax return as a Single person, not head of household, and mail it hard copy to CRA with a cover letter saying just what you said here., i.e. the bum came to live here and walked out on me, and left me with no information of any kind.

From a financial (tax) perspective, this should be acceptable to CRA if you are not claiming things like family tax credits, GST/HST tax credits, aggregating charitable donations and medical expenses, etc. IOW, as long as you are not trying to claim any tax credits by having a spouse, you are erring on the side of paying more tax than you might otherwise.

Edit: Others may have a different opinion, but perhaps ask a tax accountant friend in an accounting firm.