Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  


Recommended Posts

I can not find where to enter legal expenses from a CRA Audit???  It is tax deductible but can not locate anywhere to enter it???


Line 232 - Legal fees

Canada Revenue Agency


Feb 19, 2019 ...Line 232 - Legal fees You can claim the following expenses if: you paid fees (including any related accounting fees) for advice or assistance to respond to the CRA when the CRA reviewed your income, deductions, or credits for a year or to object to or appeal an assessment or decision under the Income Tax Act, the Employment Insurance Act, the Canada Pension

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


These legal expenses must be claimed on line 232 of the Federal return and on line 250 of the Quebec return.

These are costs incurred for the late objection or appeal concerning a notice of assessment issued under the Tax Act on income. They are fees paid to collect a retirement allowance and expenses incurred to to make child support payments non-taxable.

While for Quebec residents, these are judicial costs you paid to determine your initial right to receive alimony, and to revise your right to receive alimony. These expenses can be claimed on Federal line 221.

NOTE: You cannot deduct expenses paid for a divorce or separation.

We invite you to visit the following links for more information.

To enter the amount of legal and/or accounting fees incurred for purposes other than the recovery of wages or salaries, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2- In the screen to your right, scroll down to "Other topics" group and check the box "Other deduction and credits (including public transit passes and home buyers' amount)" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" and select "Other deductions and credits".

4- On the screen on your right, click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Federal Line 232 - Other deductions (Quebec line 250)".

5- On the page that is generated enter the amount in the field for "Deductible legal fees incurred not related to recovery of salaries or wages".

Bear in mind that some of the fees that are deductible on your Federal tax return may not be deductible for Quebec and vice-versa.

If the Federal amount is different from that of Quebec, enter the Federal amount and click on the "Maple Leaf" icon. An additional field will be generated to enter the amount for Quebec. This box appears only if you previously entered a Federal amount. If you have no Federal amount, then enter ''$0.00''.

This amount will be reported by the program on line 232 of your Federal return and line 250 of your Quebec tax return, code 08 will be entered on line 249 of the Quebec return.

Note: Please keep all your documents in order to provide on request to the CRA or Revenu Quebec asks for it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2013 ImpôtExpert, Thomson Reuters. Tous droits réservés. Politique de confidentialité
  • Create New...