Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

left pricipal residence in 2018 - converted to rental - how to declare?

Recommended Posts

hello guys

i can really use your help here1

i was living and renting part of my home until i left completely in dec 2017, renting it out.

so my principal residence is now changed. I understand i must now declare this but i am not sure where to enter.

please help with the interview and then the relevant forms.

i am thinking - i will have to provide the value of the property at the time of rental (i notice terminology is different - like "acquisitiion")

not the time i purchased it originally (1998).

Before  i submitted basic rental values like utilities, mortgage interest, maintenance etc but no capital gains or losses.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Potalo, To report the sale of your principal residence in a rental building, please follow the steps below:

1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the "CRA Questions" topic.

2. On the page that appears, go to the line "Did you sell a principal residence in 2019?". The sale of a principal residence must now be reported, along with any principal residence designation.

3. If you answer "Yes", the heading "Capital gains (or losses) & ABIL" will be generated in the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab".

4. On the page that appears to your right, click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Real estate, depreciable property and other properties".

5. On the page that appears, enters the relevant information in the first fields. If you are a co-owner of the residence with your spouse, go to the line "Your percentage share of capital gain/loss recorded here" enter your percentage.

6. The following line will be generated "Do you wish to transfer the remainder to your spouse's tax return (if applicable)?".

7. If you answer "Yes" you do not need to answer the CRA's question "Did you sell a principal residencein your spouse's file because the program will transfer the information into their file.

8. In the "Principal Residence" section, go to "Designation of the property as a principal residence?" and answer "Yes" if the property that was sold was your principal residence as defined by the CRA and enter the address of the principal residence in the following fields. NOTEBy selecting "Yes", you confirm that all the information provided corresponds to the information you provide to Revenu Québec.

9. Next, go to the "Designation" section and select the taxation period in which the property was designated as the principal residence. In the fields that follow, enter the period from the year of beginning to the year of the end of occupation of your residence.

10. However, if you have not permanently resided in your principal residence, click the plus sign "+ Add another" icon to create another occupancy period for your residence.

11. If you rented your residence in the unoccupied period, go to the line for "Change in use of property and election under section 284 or 286.1". If you answer "Yes", a field will be created to indicate the period (from what year to what year) during which the residence was leased.

Schedule 3 will be generated as well as page 2 of this schedule by the program which will indicate that the property was your principal residence for all the years during which you were the owner.

In addition, Form T2091 "Designation of a property as a principal residence by an individual" will be generated by the program.

Also, for residents of QuebecSchedule G and Form TP-274 will be produced by the program.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2013 ImpôtExpert, Thomson Reuters. Tous droits réservés. Politique de confidentialité
  • Create New...