Français
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Canadian Caregiver Credit - Ontario

I'm trying to claim the Canadian Caregivers Credit (CCC) for my mother-in-law who does not live with us.

I have added her as a dependant, answered no to "require a tax return", identified "Spouse" as person to receive CCC, and fiddled with all the buttons to get a proper calculation. But.

Three issue:

1. I have not found a way to indicate she does not live with us and so ufile treats her as a eligible dependant, calculates Line 30425 and adds this amount to Line 30450 of my return (as Family head);
  2. Line 30450 is calculated on my wife's return but the amount is shown on Line 30500 in the "Tax return summary with spouse" and Tax return summary" (although the line description appears to be correct). It does appear as Line 30450 on the "T1 Federal";
  3. Using "Let MaxBack decide" for question "Who should claim CCC for this dependant" causes ufile to ignore a request for a partial claim. Choose "Family head" or "Spouse" and the partial claim amount is used.

Allen

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 1:45 PM, Allen from Ashton said:

I'm trying to claim the Canadian Caregivers Credit (CCC) for my mother-in-law who does not live with us.

I have added her as a dependant, answered no to "require a tax return", identified "Spouse" as person to receive CCC, and fiddled with all the buttons to get a proper calculation. But.

Three issue:

1. I have not found a way to indicate she does not live with us and so ufile treats her as a eligible dependant, calculates Line 30425 and adds this amount to Line 30450 of my return (as Family head);
  2. Line 30450 is calculated on my wife's return but the amount is shown on Line 30500 in the "Tax return summary with spouse" and Tax return summary" (although the line description appears to be correct). It does appear as Line 30450 on the "T1 Federal";
  3. Using "Let MaxBack decide" for question "Who should claim CCC for this dependant" causes ufile to ignore a request for a partial claim. Choose "Family head" or "Spouse" and the partial claim amount is used.

Allen

1. Your wife is receiving the CCC because you did not assign it to yourself, the "Family Head".

2. In the controls section for the dependent, you need to indicate that they are not an eligible dependent. You also need to indicate that the person is entitled to CCC in the medical/disability section.

3. By default, eligible claims go to the family head. The "family head" is by default, the one who will claim any credit if optimal. If anyone else is claiming your mother in law, the total allowable claim cannot exceed the maximal amount eligible to be claimed.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2020 at 12:15 AM, Winston said:

1. Your wife is receiving the CCC because you did not assign it to yourself, the "Family Head".

2. In the controls section for the dependent, you need to indicate that they are not an eligible dependent. You also need to indicate that the person is entitled to CCC in the medical/disability section.

3. By default, eligible claims go to the family head. The "family head" is by default, the one who will claim any credit if optimal. If anyone else is claiming your mother in law, the total allowable claim cannot exceed the maximal amount eligible to be claimed.

Question about #2, how to set a dependent to be "not an eligible dependent". Could you please advise? I am not able to find a place given this information to uFile. Thanks

rsun

It is hidden in controls section of the dependent, in between:

Prior CPP election

and

Schedule 14 - Climate action incentive

It should say:

Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal line 30400?