Français
Matt F

Cannot Carry Forward Tution, Education Credits

Hello, I have tuition, education credits from previous years, and would like the carry forward the amounts for the future.

In the interview form I selected "Carry forward to use next year". That said, when I proceed to the Review step, I still see Education tax credits listed in the Federal returns statement.

I'm wondering if this means that my education credits are being used this year, and aren't being carry forwarded despite selecting that option in the interview form?

I am using UFile for Windows 2019

Help is appreciated.

Hi Matt, the tuition fees amount is a non refundable credit, that means that it is used to reduce the net federal tax before applying all the refundables credits. If the amount is not being carried forward, it means that it was used this year to reduce your tax and cannot be carried over. For more informations on how the amount works, we suggest you to contact the Canada Revenue Agency.

Hello,

Turns out CRA requires past accumulated education tax credits to be used the first year you pay income tax, so UFile is doing the right thing.

"You have to claim your carry forward amount in the first year that you have to pay income tax."

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-32300-your-tuition-education-textbook-amounts/transferring-carrying-forward-amounts.html

Best,