Français

Canada caregiver amount on line 30450

Adina

Could you please provide advice on how I can claim the Canada caregiver amount on line 30450 for my father who has a physical impairment, however  is married and does not live with me. 

It looks like the software was set up to consider a dependant only someone that is single and lives at the same address as me, however, this goes against the CRA guidelines: 

• 11 months later...

Canada caregiver amount on line 30450

I think ufile unable to handle this part at all.

line 30450 is not accessible. If I add parent as dependent - it doesn't allow the option to select the marital status as "married". Both Parents are supported - and should be able to claim caregiver amount for both parents. The option allowed other than married which is not true for my case, so can't claim the tax credit. Am I missing something? If so let me know the direction how I could claim caregiver tax credit for both parents. 

Hi @Nawal, I've followed all these steps, however I do not seem to see the credit applied on the family head tax return. 

Federal schedule 5 does not seem to have been generated as you mentioned in your post.

I was able to generate Quebec schedule H, however only Part A generated, which I believe is not applicable as the taxpayer (caregiver) is not living with the carereceiver (his mother). Why is Schedule H Part C not appearing? 

Please could you kindly help as I have tried to reach Ufile on this and they are not responsive. 

Thanks

Sofia 

• 1 year later...

Hello JIN K.,

Please verify the income.

You can also claim an amount for more than one dependant if each one meets all the following conditions:

They were dependent on you because of an impairment in physical or mental functions
    They were 18 years of age or older
    They were your (or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s) child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew
    They were a resident of Canada at any time in the year. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you
    Their net income from line 23600 of their return (or the amount it would be if they filed a return) was less than $25,195

• 6 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, sofia said:

Hi @Nawal, I've followed all these steps, however I do not seem to see the credit applied on the family head tax return. 

Federal schedule 5 does not seem to have been generated as you mentioned in your post.

I was able to generate Quebec schedule H, however only Part A generated, which I believe is not applicable as the taxpayer (caregiver) is not living with the carereceiver (his mother). Why is Schedule H Part C not appearing? 

Please could you kindly help as I have tried to reach Ufile on this and they are not responsive. 

Thanks

Sofia 

On 4/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, sofia said:

Thanks

Sofia 

Hi

My name is Safia Ajaz. My mother in law is a Dementia patient. She needs me 24 hours. She doesn't want to hire a caregiver or nurse. She wants to be with me only & she doesn't recognize anyone except me. Her bathing, cooking, laundry, medicines, cleaning everything is my responsibility that's why I can't go anywhere for job but I didn't do any job ever because she is suffering from Dementio since 10 years so please tell me how could I apply caregiver benefits because my financial situation going to be bad day by day because I've to pay bills,rent, groceries & many more expenses. I want to get caregiver benefits. What should I do?

Hello safiaajaz,

Canada caregiver amount- Federal
See the following link for the Canada Caregiver amount:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/canada-caregiver-amount.html

To claim the caregiver amount, you must first add the person as a dependant, even if he or she is not a ?true? dependant ? except to calculate the credit. You can add more than one person if you were the caregiver for these individuals.

To add a dependant to your file, please follow the steps below:

1. Under the "Interview" tab, on line "Family head" or the first person, click "Add a dependant" which is located to the right on this line,

2. Complete the "Dependant Identification" page. Please note that it is not possible to indicate in the field "Marital status" that the dependant is married or has a common-law spouse, because you cannot file the tax returns of the couple within your file. Therefore, in your file, you must choose "single" as the marital status of the dependant. To file the tax return of a dependant who has a spouse, you must do it in a separate family.

3. Even if you must add the dependant to your file in order to claim an amount for this person, please know that you are not required to file his or her tax return along with yours. In the "Dependant identification" page on the line "Does this taxpayer require a tax return?", answer "No" in the field located on your right.

Once you have entered the dependant's information, please follow these steps:

1.On the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" of the dependant's file, select "Medical and disability".

2.On the page generated on the right, click on the plus "+" icon to the right of the line "Infirmity and disability amounts for the dependant".

3.On the page entitled "Dependant's infirmity and disability", enter the required information. NOTE, you must answer the third line which reads as follows. "Does the dependant's infirmity provide entitlement to the Canada caregiver amount?" The answer is mandatory.

4. It should be noted that the CRA may ask for a signed statement from a medical practitioner indicating the nature of the impairment. The note should also indicate that this person depends on others because of this deficiency of physical or mental functions.

5. At the bottom of the "Dependant's infirmity and disability" page, you can share this amount with your spouse by answering the last four (4) questions.

The program will generate Schedule 5 and fill complete the sections that best apply to the dependant's income and defer the schedule 5 non-refundable credit to line 30400. In addition, if the person has a disability, if applicable, the "Disability Amount" will be transferred to line 31800 of your federal return if the dependent's income is not too high.

FOR QUEBEC ONLY :

There are two components to the tax credit for caregivers.

1. The first is for caregivers providing care to a person aged 18 or over who has a severe and prolonged impairment and needs assistance in carrying out a basic activity of daily living.

2. The second is for caregivers providing care to and living with a relative aged 70 or over.

Amount of the tax credit

Caregiver living with a person 18 or over with an impairment (Part B of Schedule H)

You may be entitled to a $1,299 tax credit and an additional amount of up to $1,299 if all of the following conditions are met:

You provided care to a care receiver 18 or over with a severe and prolonged impairment in mental or physical functions.

You lived with the care receiver.

You lived with the care receiver in a dwelling of which you, your spouse (if he or she also lived with you), the care receiver or the care receiver's spouse (if he or she also lived with you) was an owner, tenant or subtenant.

You lived with the care receiver for at least 365 consecutive days, including at least 183 days in 2022.

The care receiver lived in Canada the entire time you lived with them.

Caregiver not living with a person 18 or over with an impairment (Part C of Schedule H)

You may be entitled to a tax credit of up to $1,299 if all of the following conditions are met:

You provided care to a care receiver 18 or over with a severe and prolonged impairment in mental or physical functions.

UFile :

*Does this infirmity provide entitlement to the Canada caregiver amount? Yes

*Are you eligible for the amount for a severe and prolonged impairment in mental or physical functions on Quebec line 376? Claim disability amount (default)

*Does the person need assistance to perform a basic activity of daily living? (Certified by a health professional on line 46 of Form TP-752.0.14-V)

You provided care to the care receiver for at least 365 consecutive days, including at least 183 days in 2022.

The care receiver lived in Canada the entire time you cared for them.

Caregiver living with a person (not his or her spouse) 70 or over without an impairment (Part D of Schedule H)  

You may be entitled to a $1,299 tax credit if all of the following conditions are met:

You lived with a care receiver (not your spouse) 70 or over without an impairment.

You lived with the care receiver in a dwelling of which you, your spouse (if he or she also lived with you), the care receiver or the care receiver's spouse (if he or she also lived with you) was an owner, tenant or subtenant.

You lived with the care receiver for at least 365 consecutive days, including at least 183 days in 2022.

The care receiver lived in Canada the entire time you lived with them.

https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citizens/income-tax-return/completing-your-income-tax-return/how-to-complete-your-income-tax-return/line-by-line-help/451-to-480-refund-or-balance-due/line-462/point-2/