Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by Gabriel

  1. Unfortunately, this feature is available with DT Max only.
  2. Accounts are not linked from year to year. For example, if you just recently purchased and filed a previous year's return, you will need to login as a new user and create a new account for the current year. You will be able to use the same user ID and password, however in this case the data will not be carried forward. If you completed a tax return from the current year, the data from this account will be carried forward next year. We carry forward accounts in batch once a year in early January.
  3. In its calculations, the program takes into account the rules governing pension income splitting. It considers all the factors involved to determine the optimal amount of pension income to be transferred to the other spouse. You can modify the pension split by following these steps: 1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Pension income, T4A, split pension". 2- On the page to your right, choose the last line "Split pension income with your spouse". 3- For the line "Do you wish to split eligible pension income with your spouse?", from the drop-down menu on your left, choose the option that suits you best among the following three: A- Let MaxBack decide. B- Transfer to spouse (you must specify the amount that you transfer). C- Do not transfer to the spouse. If you look at Step 5 of the T1032 form, you will notice that the system also indicates the split of deducted income tax. For Quebec residents, also note that the provincial and federal rules for income splitting are different. Moreover, under the "Tax return" tab, you will find a document entitled "Report on split-pension income". By reviewing this report, you will be able to determine which one of the possible pension income splitting scenarios is the most beneficial for your couple. For more information regarding pension income splitting, please consult the following links: For the CRA: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/pnsn-splt/menu-eng.html For Revenu Québec: http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/impots/guide/aideligne/revenu-total/ligne123.aspx
  4. Gabriel


    Here are some links to help you in your questioning: http://www.netfile.gc.ca/menu-eng.html http://www.efile.cra.gc.ca/
  5. Gabriel


    You have to fill the information only if a fee was charged for preparing the return.
  6. In order to create scenarios, we recommend that you create a new account in the current tax year of UFile ONLINE and enter all your data. This way, you will have your original file and one that you can use for simulations. We give support to users to help properly enter their data into the software. However, we are not authorized to give an opinion on tax questions. We regret that we cannot answer your question and thank you for your trust in UFile.
  7. Gabriel


    Electronic filing of T1013's is still only available with DT Max. For more information on DT Max, please consult: http://www.drtax.ca/en/DTMax.aspx
  8. To claim the amount for a disabled person who is your dependant, you should specify the disability of that person in the dependant's file. To do so, follow the steps below: 1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" of the dependent's file, located on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Medical, disability, caregiver". 2- In the screen on your right, select the option "Infirmity and disability amounts for the dependant". 3- In the page "Dependant infirmity and disability", enter the relevant information. Schedule 5 will be generated by the program in the family head's file, and the non-refundable credit for caregivers will be reported on line 315 of federal Schedule 1. As for the non-refundable credit for people with disabilities transferred from a dependent, it will be reported on line 318 of federal Schedule 1. For Quebec residents, if you wish to claim the caregiver amount, follow these steps: 1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" of the family head's file, select "Quebec credits". 2- In the screen on your right, choose "Quebec line 462 - Schedule H - Dwelling information for the tax credit for caregiver". 3- In this page, from the drop-down menu, select the option that fits your situation. The program will generate Quebec Schedule H and will carry over the amount of refundable credit on line 462 of the Quebec return.
  9. Yes you have to print and mail your return. IMPORTANT: Please read the "Assembly instructions" section of your tax return to know which forms you should submit to the CRA, the order in which they should be assembled, and which forms need to be signed and by whom (e.g. yourself, your spouse or common-law partner, your doctor, etc.). Please visit the link(s) below to locate a Tax services office near you: CRA: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/t1ddr-eng.html Revenu Québec: http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/impots/dec_courante/declaration-papier/poste.aspx
  10. You could first try with another browser or look up for any malware as described above in the March 29th post. If you are still experiencing difficulties, please send a request to help@ufile.ca. Thank you.
  11. Please send a request to support@ufile.ca so we can take a look at the return. Thank you.
  12. Foreign employment income To enter a foreign employment income, please follow the steps below: 1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Interview setup". 2- On the page appearing on the right, select "Foreign income or foreign property" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page. 3- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and click on "Foreign income and property". 4- On the new page generated on the right, click on "Foreign employment income". After specifying the source and origin of the income and the exchange rate to apply, please proceed as follows: 1- If the foreign employment income is already entered on a T4: a) You must select "Yes" for the question "Do you wish to use the overseas employment tax credit schedule T626?" if you are eligible for the overseas employment tax credit. b) Enter the amount in the field "Foreign employment income already entered on a T4 page". c) Enter the additional information, if necessary. 2- If the foreign employment income is not entered on a T4: a) You must select "No" for the question "Do you wish to use the overseas employment tax credit schedule T626?" b) Enter the amount in the field "Foreign employment income not entered on a T4 page". c) Enter the additional information, if necessary. For more information, please consult the IT-497 newsletter via the link below: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it497r4/
  13. Spousal or common-law partner amount The spouse or common-law partner amount is automatically calculated using the data entered in the spouse's file. If you have indicated your marital status as married or as a common-law spouse, the program will determine the amount that you are entitled to claim. The program will calculate the amount and enter it on line 303 of Schedule 1, and line 5812 of your provincial forms (except Quebec). If you did not input any amounts in your spouse's file, the program will assume that you are entitled to the full spousal amount. Make sure to enter the information regarding your spouse's income in his or her file, so that the spousal amount is calculated correctly. In the case where there is a separation in the year, the spousal amount can still be claimed based on the net income of your ex-spouse at the time of breakdown of the relationship. In order to claim the spousal amount in the year of separation in the program, please follow these steps: 1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Identification". 2- Then, on the page to the right, at the question "Did your marital status change in 2013?", choose "Yes". 3- Back in the "QuikClik Navigator", click on "Ex-Spouse". 4- Complete the next page accordingly. For more information, please consult the following link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/303/menu-eng.html
  14. Switching the family head designation from one spouse to another The program is designed to prepare tax returns for all family members. The person whose name appears first in the family member section of the "Interview" tab is referred to as the "family head". Unfortunately, the program is not enabled to switch the family head designation from one spouse to the other. The program will accurately and efficiently calculate the tax returns of all family members, regardless of who is designated as the family head. The program's "MaxBack Refund Analyzer" will integrate the tax returns of all the family members. However, if you wish to designate the other spouse as the family head, you will need to do this manually by creating a new account (UFile ONLINE) or a new file (UFile for Windows), and making sure that you first enter the person that you wish to designate as the new family head. If you decide to do so, you will also need to manually enter all of the carryforward amounts from the previous tax year correctly.
  15. Accommodations charges are used to support a claim for the Ontario Trillium Benefit. However, as your mother passed away, no claim can be made. You can consult page 11 of the following document: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/5006-pc/README.html
  16. Gabriel

    RL-16 box L

    I'm not sure which page you are looking at but it does show "(RL-16 Box L)". See attached:
  17. 1. You don't have to file separately but you need to indicate the appropriate province of residence for each of you. Also, you should consult the following instructions: Resident from another province working in Quebec If you worked in Quebec in the current taxation year, but resided in another province (e. g. in Ontario), you should have received two tax slips: a federal T4 slip and a Quebec RL-1 slip. In order to enter the information found on these slips using the program, please follow these steps: 1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", click on the line "T4 and employment income" and, on the screen located on the right-hand side, first select "T4 and RL-1 (Relevé 1) income earned in Quebec". 2- Enter the information from the T4 and the RL-1 slip and, from the drop-down menu of box 10, select the province of employment; 3 - If you have an amount in box J of the RL-1, ignored because this amount shall be taxable only resident of Quebec, as it is called with medical expenses. While for residents of other Provinces / Territories that amount cannot be claimed as a medical expense because the premium has been paid by the employer; 4- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and select "Ontario tax and credits" (or from any other province of residence as appropriate) and enter the required information, if applicable. By clicking on the "Results" tab, you'll notice on line 437 of the federal return that the amount of total income tax deducted corresponds to the box 22 of the T4 and box E of the RL-1 slip. Also in the "Result" tab if you have the following "Warning", "The pensionable earnings entered for a T4 exceed the amount of T4 income". Please ignore this warning. 2. She should be able to use her unused tuition fees. I recommend verifying with Revenu Québec: http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/nous_joindre/default.aspx
  18. We do support Chrome but sometimes malware (like SaltarSmart for example) can be conflicting and trying another browser can be the best short term solution.
  19. I am not aware of any problem with the pension splitting calculations in UFile. Please send a request to support@ufile.ca so we can examine the return. Thank you.
  20. I can see that your request has been assigned to one of our agents, you should receive an answer shortly. Thank you for your patience.
  21. DianneV, please make sure you answer the initial automated email suggesting links that might help you to receive further assistance from one of our agents.
  22. Rental income - Multiple owners If the rental property is owned by a partnership, one of the partners in the company could be either your spouse or other people. In order to report a rental income, follow the steps below: 1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", select the item "Rental income" and in the page on your right, choose "T776 - Rental income property". 2- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and choose the item "Partners". 3- In the screen on your right, you have two (2) choices, "Spouse co-owner of this rental property" or "Other partner or co-owner of this rental property". 4- If your spouse is co-owner, you have two choices in the drop-down menu, "Generate rental income statement for spouse" or "Do not generate rental income statement for spouse". 5- If you choose the first option, it is not necessary to enter information about the building in your spouse's file. However, the program will generate the Statement of Real estate Rental, both federal and Quebec for Quebec residents. 6- However, if you have different expenses, you should select the second option and the program will not generate the statement of real estate rentals automatically, in which case you must enter the complete information relating to the rental property in your spouse's file. 7- If none of the other partners is your spouse, you must choose "Other partner or co-owner of this rental property" and enter the name, the address, SIN as well as the share of ownership. The program will prorate the income and expenses. The partner must enter into his own file all the information relating to the property. 8- Please note that in the page "T776 - Rental property identification", the percentage that you must enter in the fields for "Percentage interest in the partnership" and "Your share (%) of ownership if other than 100%" should be identical. For more information regarding rental income, please visit the following CRA link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/126/menu-eng.html
  23. To avoid mistakes, you cannot actually override the amount on line 420 but it is calculated based on the data you entered. We would need more details about why you think this amount is incorrect and probably need to examine your return so the best option is for you to send a request to support@ufile.ca. Thank you.
  24. You don't need to report buying the stocks until you sell them and make a capital gain or loss.
  25. No, you need each taxation year's program to prepare the return for that year (the calculations, credits, deductions, etc, change every year). Thank you.
  • Create New...