Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Reputation Activity

  1. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from jade12yb in T4A box 028   
    Hi @jade12yb, no you just enter the other income information on the T4A slip under the pension group. Thanks
  2. Like
    Nawal reacted to HRS in The amount in box 028 of the T4A slip (Other income included in business income (memo)) must also be reported within the corresponding business as self-employment income.   
    Hi @Nawal, I reached out to Ufile Support and received a great support from some lady (I don't have her name).
    so basically the information downloaded from CRA T4A into T4A form in application for CERB, CRB, CRSB was sufficient and those values were summed up under line 13000 as income which was what I was looking for, so I didn't need to claim that sum separately as self-employment or any other forms of income.
    Thank you!
  3. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from Optionsplease in Password not working   
    Hi @Optionsplease, @janlcarter, a reset link has been sent to you.
  4. Like
  5. Like
    Nawal reacted to Wil W in Married in 2020, ineligible to NETFILE, spouse income is NOT NIL   
    HERE IS THE ANSWER - Thank You @Nawal
    When I read the control question and the error message it stated "confirm that your spouse's (provincial/territorial) adjusted taxable income is NIL" so I naturally, not thoroughly reading the entire message line,  looked at line 26000 on the tax return that's labelled "Taxable Income". This is where my logic was broken! Pay special attention to the adjective "adjusted" taxable income. Because two people are compiling and submitting their returns together as a (married) couple, some values and credits are transferred from one partner to the other and that is the function of SCHEDULE 2. This detail is specified in the control question and error message, but I was too focused on the "taxable income" part of the statement.
    When you setup a family unit in UFile, it automatically generates a Schedule 2. I have tried many ways to see and view Schedule 2 within the UFile app, but until you actually produce the Tax Return, I am unable to figure out how. If you know how, please share! I even navigated to the bottom of the interview where it says "where to enter?" and it just gives a short link and description without actually taking you to the form so you can see the calculation details.
    So I guess you'll have to trust the system 😲
    As @Nawalexplained and showed me...
    In the Provincial Schedule 2 you take the value from line 26000 (taxable income) and subtract the sum of 3 other fields from a provincial schedule/form - in my circumstance it was BC 428. When you add lines 58040, 26 & 58560, they equal the same amount as the taxable income, therefore yielding
    Spouse's or Common-law partner's adjusted taxable income (line 59120) = $0.00 aka NIL
    Now don't ask me how you can see and verify this information in advance of those control questions. Maybe somebody can explain (for the benefit of the others who also claimed the same problem and the 400+ viewers of this thread) how you can substantiate/support your answers. Definite room for improvement in UFile.
    I spent plenty of time and effort to maintain this thread and close it off with a respectable answer - please LIKE the post for greater visibility. Maybe UFile will improve their documentation or FAQ section.
  6. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from Peter Tinkess in RRSP Contribution in UFile Online   
    Hi @Peter Tinkess, we suggest you to contact our support team at support@ufile.ca to help you.
  7. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from Helena in Married Status - Not Available in the Marital Status dropdown in dpenedents   
    Hi @Ryan1970, it is normal. If your parents are living with you, without necessarily being your dependents from a financial standpoint, you will have to account for their situation during tax season.
    First, you must create a file for your parents so that they can file their returns separately and transmit them to the competent authorities.
    If there are any remaining credits that each spouse is not able to claim for themselves, and they allow you to claim them, as well as the credit for caregivers, please proceed as follows:
    1. Under the "Interview", tab on line "Family head" or the first person, click on "Add a dependent" which is located to the right on this line.
    2. Under the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Identification", fill in the page that appears on your right and for the line "Marital Status on December 31, 2020", select "Single" in the drop-down menu.
    3. For the question "Does this taxpayer require a tax return?" in the drop-down menu on your right, choose "No", because the information is used only to allow you to claim certain credits, as both your parents will have produced their own tax returns. Click on "Next".
    4. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select the option "Net income". Then, on the screen to your right, enter the relevant information. You can find the net income for your dependents on line 23600 of the Federal return and on line 275 of the Quebec return.
    5. Under the heading "Medical and disability" on the right-hand page, select the options that are appropriate for each parent, such as the "Infirmity and disability amounts for the dependent" option. In addition, you must complete the "Canada caregiver amount to claim for this dependent / Quebec Schedule H - Eligibility and dates of the qualifying period for this dependent (Quebec line 462)".
    Federal return will be generated and will indicate whether you can claim the credit for caregivers, while for residents of Quebec, Schedule H will be generated by the program if you qualify.
    Attention - For medical expenses if the dependent has paid for them, you cannot enter them in their file.
    However, if you have paid for certain medical expenses please add them to his file, and keep proof that you paid them.
    Return to your file under the heading "Quebec Tax Credits".
    On the right-hand page, scroll down to "Quebec line 462" group and click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Schedule H - Dwelling information for the tax credit for caregiver".
    In the page that appears, select the options that are relevant to your situation.
    Finally, if the dependent can no longer transfer some credits to you the following year, then delete this file from your folder.
  8. Like
    Nawal reacted to BFB in Required income for free filing   
    Thank you very much Nawal. You had been most helpful.
  9. Like
    Nawal reacted to Damani in Password Reset   
    In frustrating tech/customer service issues like this, I think it is important for users to log back in and report when a resolution has been found. 

    1) I tagged Nawal in my original complaint (as above).
    2) Then received an email from him (email title has cpo - Request#) to answer a few identity verification questions.
    3) Another email was sent letting me know that a second email with reset link would be sent.
    4) That email was received and I was finally able to reset my password and log in. 

    The bottom line is that it is possible for them to fix the UFile Password Reset issue. You can follow the steps above. But this is a massive debacle, many customers will be lost as a result and many staff need to be fired for this unacceptable situation. Obviously no one tested the reset process before rolling it out. Too much faith in an automated process and automated customer service emails without first testing.
  10. Like
    Nawal reacted to person in Graduate student eligible for working at home due to COVID-19 expenses?   
    After getting in touch with the CRA (waited ~3 hours on the phone), they confirmed that I would not be eligible to claim this expense.
    Hope this can also help someone else...
  11. Thanks
    Nawal got a reaction from person in Graduate student eligible for working at home due to COVID-19 expenses?   
    Hi @person, we suggest you to contact the CRA about this. Thanks
  12. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from kimh in Mistake in past return: Does Ufile support amended returns?   
    Hi @jfchavez,  yes Ufile support  amended returns. If you tax return was successfully submitted, please go to your 2019 tax return in Ufile and select the "NetFile"  tab. Click on "Federal submission" section. On the bottom of the page, click "Re-FILE". NOTE: A new page "CRA ReFile" will appear in the left menu of the "Interview" tab.
    -Select the section from the Left-side menu, then click "Federal ReFILE Mode". Make the modification that you want.
    -Click "Review" tab, then click "NETFILE" tab.
    -Tick the box "I agree with the ReFILE Terms and Conditions and Private Notice".
    Click "ReFILE my return now!". 
  13. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from Torment in Looking for form T777S - Statement of Employment Expenses for Working at Home Due to COVID-19   
    Hi @Torment, you have to click on the "Interview setup" to see the different groups 
  14. Like
    Nawal reacted to Anne LeBlanc in Medical expenses   
    Woohoo, thank you UFile support who made me realize I had entered an incorrect date (31/12/2000) for medical expenses that's why the amount of medical expenses was not populating in the tax returns. Amen!
  15. Thanks
    Nawal got a reaction from BJL in Dependant's US charitable donations   
    Hi @BJL, The first box is to give you the rates corresponding to each month so that you can enter the rate that corresponds to the period of your donation in the next box. See the screenshot for example
  16. Thanks
    Nawal got a reaction from Jennyb in T4A box 028   
    Hi @Jennyb, box 028 of the T4A slip allows you to enter any other amount which may be declared elsewhere on a T4A slip or any other.
    However, payment for services must be reported under Box 048 of the T4A.
    You have received a T4A with the amount shown in box 028; we suggest you contact the issuer of the slip for a verification in that regard.
    To enter this amount, please follow the steps below:
    1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Interview setup".
    2. On the screen to your right, go to the "Pension" group and check "Pension income, other income and split pension income (T4A, T4A (OAS), T4A (P), T4A-RCA, T4RSP, T4RIF, T1033)" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
    3. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Pension income, T4A". On the right-side page, choose the option "Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income".
    4. If payment is not related to a service, go to the page entitled "T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity and other income", and select the line "Other information (click on the triangle to see the list of choices) (A payment of fees for services under code 028 should be entered in Box 048)". In the drop-down menu, choose "(028) Other income".
    5. However, if the payment is for services rendered, you entered the amount in Box 048 and in this case, return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select "Interview setup".
    6. On the screen to your right, go to the "Self-employed" group, check "Self-employed business income" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
    7. Then, select "Self-employment income" in the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab".
    8. On the screen to your right, choose "T2125 - Business income" or any other option that applies most to your work.
    9. Complete the "T2125 - Business identification" page and then on the next page "Income, expenses", enter the amount from box 048 of your T4A slip on the line "Fees for services (T4A Box 048)". If you have expenses, enter them in the boxes that correspond to their description.
  17. Thanks
    Nawal got a reaction from Jennyb in Box 201 of RL1 with T4A   
    Hi @Jennyb, please see the screenshot for box 201
  18. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from Peter H in Claiming carry forward capital loss   
    Hi techgeek22, To carry over these losses using the 2019 program, please follow these steps:
    1-On the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".
    2-On the page appearing on the right, go to the group "Carryforward amounts and prior year information", check the box "Losses of prior years, carrybacks". Click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
    3- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" and select "Losses of prior years and carrybacks".
    4-On the screen generated on your right, go to the "Losses of other years" group and choose the line "Net capital losses of other years".
    5-On the page that appears, enter the losses from previous years in the appropriate fields. You should first enter your capital gains.
    The amounts will be reported to line 25300 of the federal returns and line 290 of the Quebec return.
    The program will generate for the federal form "Applying net capital losses of other years to 2019" and Quebec form TP-729.
  19. Thanks
    Nawal got a reaction from A Miranda in How to report 1042-S on CRA returns   
    Hi A Miranda, In the Interview Setup, click on Foreign income.
    In the Foreign income section of UFile, there are routines there for the different types of foreign income reporting.
    NOTE: 1042-S is used to report US withholding tax,  UFile does not have the US 1042-S form as such.  And UFile does not support it.
    You still use UFile  you just have to find a place to report this US withholding tax paid. Each one of the respective places for foreign income has a place where you can report US withholding taxes. For example,  foreign pension income : "Amount of foreign tax paid". This entry is necessary for UFile to generate form T2209, which shows the calculation of the foreign tax credit. 
  20. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from Smitty 68 in acknowledgement of return   
    Hi @Smitty 68, it happens when you try to submit a tax return that was successfully submitted. If you have the CRA's confirmation number then it is accepted.
  21. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from TheTaxSmith in Box 57, 58, 59 and 60   
    Hi @Kc06, you can find those boxes under "Other informations" on the T4 as shown here:
  22. Like
    Nawal got a reaction from AnaP in Password Reset   
    Hi @BB63, @MarcD, a reset has been sent to you. Thanks
  23. Thanks
    Nawal got a reaction from Amiga in T777S   
    Hi @Amiga, Fill out the form  "T777S - Employment expenses for Working at Home Due to COVID-19" and then it will populate the line 22900 on your Tax return (step 4)
  24. Thanks
    Nawal got a reaction from Bikram1738 in Principal Residence changed to Investment Property   
    Hi Bikram1738, You are considered to have disposed the property at the time of the change in use for proceeds equal to its market value (FMV), and to have reacquired the property immediately thereafter at a cost equal to its market value. So it result in a capital gain you must report but with an exemption and a rental income . Then you have to report your rental income for 2020.
    To report the sale of your principal residence, please follow the steps below:
    1. On the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the "CRA Questions" topic.
    2. On the page that appears, go to the line "Did you sell a principal residence in 2020?". The sale of a principal residence must now be reported with any principal residence designation.
    3. If you answer "Yes", a topic will be generated in the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" with the heading "Capital gains (or losses) & ABIL".
    4. On the page appearing to your right, click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Personal use property (Including the principal residence)".
    5. On the page that appears, enters the relevant information in the first fields. If you are a co-owner of the residence with your spouse, go to the line "Your percentage share of capital gain/loss recorded here" enter your percentage.
    6.The following line will be generated "Do you wish to transfer the remainder to your spouse's tax return (if applicable)?".
    7. If you answer "Yes" you do not need to answer the CRA's question "Did you sell a principal residence" in your spouse's file because the program will transfer the information into their file.
    8. Then go to the "Principal residence" section and go to the line that starts as follow: "Designation of the property as a principal residence to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)." and answer, "Yes" if the property that was sold was your principal residence as defined by the CRA and enter the address of the principal residence.
    9. Next, go to the "Designation" section and select the period (taxation years) during which that property was designated as your principal residence. In the fields that follow, enter the year of beginning and the year of the end as the principal residence.
    Then you have to report your rental income in the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab":
    1. Select "Rental Income".
    2.  On the page that appears to your right, click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "T776 - Rental Income property".
  25. Thanks
    Nawal got a reaction from onetriciaone in Rent expense (former Ontario resident)   
    Hi @onetriciaone,  you must be resident of Ontario on December 31, 2020 to claim the amount.
  • Create New...