Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Posts posted by Winston

  1. You can put a middle name or first name and indicate they are a first-time filer or indicate a surname change. It is commonly seen on people with last name Kaur or Singh. For example, for Name: "Ramandeep Kaur", use "Ramandeep" for first name and "Kaur" for last. Or, try "Ramandeep Kaur" for first name and "Kaur" for last name. It can be done via EFILE, but it may not work for NETFILE. Unfortunately CRA cannot assist with this name issue, as a return needs to be filed for them to find any information.

  2. Remove the C/O in the name field and put the Legal Representative's name on the "Care of" Line. CRA rejects the return if you put C/O in the identification field. You should put the name of the legal representative in the address section. Ufile will then automatically add the C/O where it is required.

  3. 12-month period

    In this example, the taxpayers can claim eligible medical expenses for any 12-month period ending in 2019, provided the expenses were not previously claimed. When claiming expenses for other dependants, it is important to use the same 12‑month period.

    The period can run July 2018 to June 2019 or January 2019 to December 2019.

    For example, an individual can choose to claim medical expenses paid within the period from January 2019 to December 2019. In general, medical expenses can be claimed in any 12‑month period ending in the tax year you’re filing for.

    Alternatively, it is acceptable to claim for the period of July 2018 to June 2019 as illustrated in the graph, keeping in mind that expenses can only be claimed once.

    Note: The individual can choose not to claim their medical expenses in the current year, if they think they’re going to have a better claim in a 12-month period ending in the next tax year. It is important when the expenses are paid, not when the service was performed.

  4. Thank you for correcting my incorrect assumption regarding the claims of non-refundable tax credits. I incorrectly assumed that Schedule 2 transfers would still be allowed except the spousal (equivalent to dependent) tax credit. Now I understand why you are trying to do what you did.

    If your mom or dad (works for both - see * below) is set up as the family head, then see the following screenshot below*:

    -removed screenshot due to attachment size limitations-

    *This method only works if you process each parent as a separate file; i.e. Taxfilemom.u19 and TaxfileDad.u19 - the forced separation is to prevent automated transfers. I don't like this method compared to the other option below. You may have no choice though. Each parent becomes a family head with their tax profiles processed independently.

    However, I think I have a more feasible solution for you (untested, works if you forego pension splitting I think):

    1. Add parents as dependents to your tax file, with yourself as the "Family head".

    2. Add the t-slip info /run auto fill my return as usual.

    This solution takes advantage of a couple of things: 

    1. No automated schedule 2 transfers as parents are "dependents" for tax purposes - schedule 2 transfers won't exist for "dependents"

    2. This allows the automatic calculation of the DTC transfer to yourself

    3. There might be some other limitations; in particular, pension splitting. 


    The scenario where you might have trouble is if you want to do pension splitting but can't override the automatic Age Amount /Pension Income Amount S2 Transfers...I could not find a solution for this. This seems to be a limitation associated with the software. I hope this isn't the situation you are in. You could still submit a return and let CRA reassess it though, just adjust the split pension amounts to reflect the fact that these S2 transfers will not be available. That, to me though is a bit risque though..

  5. Thanks for that update, I appreciate knowing that I did give the correct advice. Most of the time I don't get the confirmation that I was correct, and I would hate to give out bad advice...although I should have suggested contacting Revenu Quebec in hindsight; Quebec returns are not my area of expertise. Your post is very helpful!

  6. I

    23 hours ago, troy_ramos said:

    I have sent this problem to the UFile Windows Helpdesk along with copies of my parents' tax files. Do you guys want to know the "solution" they came up with?  Well, Siti (the support person who responded to me) essentially told me that the reason an amount is showing up on line 32600 was because there are amounts on line 35200 (age amount transferred from spouse) and line 35500 (pension amount transferred from spouse).  Then she told me that UFile automatically calculates lines 30300 and 32600 for spouses.  Then she told me that they are not a tax advisory service, and I should seek the advise of a tax professional.

    Can I ask why are we attempting to suppress these lines? The answer to your question is that we can do a "Net Income only" return for the spouse. Then you would specify that the husband would not be claiming Schedule 2 Transfers. See the picture below:


    On the next page, you will see at the end of the page an option to claim Schedule 2 Transfers. The default is "no". However, I suggest that the S2 transfers (excluding Spousal amount, caregiver amount and Disability amount) still be claimed, unless there is a good reason not to claim them.




  7. 55 minutes ago, troy_ramos said:

    I am preparing the return for my parents with my mom as the primary and my dad as her spouse. They are both over 65 years old.  My dad died last December.  My problem is that UFile is calculating the amounts for lines 30300 and 32600. I want to stop UFile from doing this. Is there an override for this?  If not, is there a workaround (perhaps I've set them up wrong?)

    The reason why I want to stop UFile from calculating the amounts on lines 30300 and 32600 of my mom's tax return, is because I am claiming my dad's disability amount transfer on line 31800 of my tax return.  According to the CRA tax guide, no one else can claim the DTC transferrable from a dependant on line 31800 of his tax return if the PWD's spouse claimed the spousal transfer amounts on line 30300 and 32600 of her tax return.

    In the controls section:


    With regards to the DTC transfer, in the Disability section, select "Do not Claim". DTC transfers are not reported on the transferer's return; it is reported on the transferee's return. The net effect below will have the result you need.


    On another note, I am quite impressed that you are aware of the claim rules. Most people actually end up claiming these amounts incorrectly. Your analysis is correct.

  8. The amounts on the Releve 1 box J is used to determine your allowable medical expenses to be claimed. You should use in Box J the amount in the letter. It will be correctly reported as medical expenses on the QC return.


    The value of the taxable benefit calculated over the course of the year was based on estimates and must be apportioned over all the pay periods in the year. [The employer] did the calculation using any reasonable estimation method (such as basing the estimates on data for the previous year or on a hypothetical premium). At the end of the year, [the employer] has to use the actual data to determine the actual value of the benefit to be entered on the employee's RL-1 slip.


  9. 8 hours ago, Brenda Marie said:

    Ok.  It was a missing T5.  I assume I have to add it to my 2018 ufile,  correct?  What will happen after I make the change?  Will ufile create a new return?  

    Correct. Once you add it, check if the tax return executive summary match up with CRA's Notice of assessment. Ufile will automatically recalculate the tax return. If the amounts are off by $1, it will be due to rounding issues.


    Ufile might go into REFILE mode, but add the T5 as normal. Just don't REFILE it.

  10. On 4/16/2020 at 10:03 AM, Brenda Marie said:

    CRA amended my 2018 return for me due to undeclared income.  They issued a new notice of assessment (tax reasssment).  Great so far.  My concern is that my 2018 ufile récords are now incorrect (ie. carry forwards, CNIL etc.) and thus not sure what i need to do in order to be able to use ufile for 2019 taxes.  Any advice?

    If you add the missing income (if it corresponds with an unreported t-slip), the amounts calculated should reflect almost all the changes in the corresponding lines.

  11. On 2/22/2020 at 1:45 PM, Allen from Ashton said:

    I'm trying to claim the Canadian Caregivers Credit (CCC) for my mother-in-law who does not live with us.

    I have added her as a dependant, answered no to "require a tax return", identified "Spouse" as person to receive CCC, and fiddled with all the buttons to get a proper calculation. But.

    Three issue:

    1. I have not found a way to indicate she does not live with us and so ufile treats her as a eligible dependant, calculates Line 30425 and adds this amount to Line 30450 of my return (as Family head);
    2. Line 30450 is calculated on my wife's return but the amount is shown on Line 30500 in the "Tax return summary with spouse" and Tax return summary" (although the line description appears to be correct). It does appear as Line 30450 on the "T1 Federal";
    3. Using "Let MaxBack decide" for question "Who should claim CCC for this dependant" causes ufile to ignore a request for a partial claim. Choose "Family head" or "Spouse" and the partial claim amount is used.



    1. Your wife is receiving the CCC because you did not assign it to yourself, the "Family Head".

    2. In the controls section for the dependent, you need to indicate that they are not an eligible dependent. You also need to indicate that the person is entitled to CCC in the medical/disability section.

    3. By default, eligible claims go to the family head. The "family head" is by default, the one who will claim any credit if optimal. If anyone else is claiming your mother in law, the total allowable claim cannot exceed the maximal amount eligible to be claimed.


  • Create New...