Français
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do i claim my daughter's tuition amount

Hi, my question is, can my daughter not claim her 2020 Tuition/education amount (less than $2,000.00) and transfer it to me as a parent to claim on my return? If yes, do i fill in the amount on line 26, on her return and still enter the amount and their details on my return, form F32400, Tuition from child? Our taxes are being done together. Thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

Hi @ANT, she can only transfer the amount to a parent if she doesn't need it to reduce her taxes. Since you are doing your taxes together, she must go to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the item "Tuition, education, student loans" and on the page to your right, click on the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Tuition amounts (Line 32300)".

1. On the page for "Tuition, education and textbook amounts", go to the section "Transfer of unused amount".

2. For the federal go to the line "Treatment of federal unused tuition, education and textbook amounts", and from the drop-down menu to your right, choose the option "Transfer to a parent".

@nawal

this is the first year I am filing a claim for prior years carry over for my daughter tuition.  She is finished school and I believe in order to claim the carryover, she has to file a return on her own and assign the $$ to us??  Considering we have filed together as a 'family' for years, would I have to create a separate ufile account for her only in order to complete a tax return and claim the carryover?

FYI, the program allows me to click the correct boxes on our family filings and will realize the credit, however it states she has to file separately. Where can I find clear info on this information?

Hi @Dee, she can stay on the same file to transfer her unused tuition amount to a parent.

1- In the student's file, in the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Tuition, education, student loans" item.

2- On the right-hand page, click on the plus "+" icon to the right of the line "Tuition amounts for the dependant".

3- A new page will be displayed, entitled "Dependant's tuition, education and textbook amounts".

4- For the federal government, under the section "Transfer of unused amounts" and go to the "Treatment of unused tuition, education and textbook amounts" line, and in the field to the right, click the triangle to show the drop-down menu and choose the option that applies to your situation.

5- The amount of tuition fees that can be transferred is $ 5,000, however you can choose a lesser amount.

Remember that because of CRA rules, the student must first claim the amounts in his or her own federal return, to reduce the tax payable.

Hi @Nawal

TY for your response.  

So to confirm, we can all still file as a family and claim the carry over even though she is out of school and designates the credit to the parent?   I will complete as you indicated above and on mine, as family head, add the F32400 to designate the transfer coming in.  If I dont do this it wont show as a credit on my end.  And I click on the box confirming she is filing with the family.

I am trying trying to transfer the unused amount of my son't tuition to myself to claim.  In Dependant's Tuition, Education and Textbooks, in the section Transfer of Current Year Unused Amounts, I have selected "Let MaxBack Decide" or "Transfer to Family Head", but either way the unused amount shows up at the end of Schedule 11 as being forwarded to future years, not as transferred.  What am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

How does my daughter enter her tuition amount to be transferred to her Dad who is filing his return via an accountant.  Her father will be claiming it on his return but doesn't she ALSO need to claim it showing as transferred?  There is no option/drop down for transferring to a parent NOT on Ufile and I don't want it to automatically transfer to me (mom) when it should go to her father.    OR is the "Transfer to parent not processed" the option to pick?  

Yes, use that option. Remember, though, that your daughter has to claim the credit first if she has any taxable income and then the transfer is maximum(unused portion, $5,000). Her father will show the amount of transfer and source on his return.

• 2 weeks later...