Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jason

  1. Jason

    Childrens T4A (P)

    You'd claim this under each of your children. For each child, under the "dependent ID", say yes to "Did this dependent have any income in 2015". Next, under the "interview setup", you can check off "pension income". Finally, you'll be able to click on "pension income, T4A, Split pension" on the left hand side, then add the T4A(P) there.
  2. Not sure if you figured this out or not, but if you go to the Infirm/Disability section under your son, there is a box to select "Who should claim any unused disability amount for this dependent" where you can choose you or your husband.
  3. Thank you, Bretonix. That solved it!
  4. Hi all. Filing a return for a couple with ufile for windows. Husband has a T2201 on file, and it is entered under his medical section in the interview ("are you elegible for the disability amount on line 316"). When going to efile the return, I am given a warning under the wife's return stating "You have to confirm that CRA has an approved T2201 for the spouse on your account. Click here to fix". Clicking on the link brings me to a blank page on the wife's return. How do I correct this error? Thanks, Jason
  5. You should still be able to netfile your 2013 return - perhaps your computer's clock is set to an incorrect date that is making UFile think that you can't send it. But you can mail your return to the government if you would like. UFile will give you the option to print your tax return. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/t1ddr-eng.html
  6. Jason

    Seniors Residence

    The way I was taught as a CVITP volunteer by CRA employees is that the amount paid to a care home can be used as a medical expense to reduce the amount owed to $0, then half of the remainder can be claimed as rent. The other half is not claimable as it is considered food / etc. I've been doing it this way for a number of years, and have never encountered any issues. For the most part, clients in care homes do not have any tax payable ($0 on line 435), so half of the total amount can be claimed as rent. Of course this only works for the provinces that you are able to claim rent in ... not sure about Quebec. And of course I can't find any links as a reference for you. hope this helps!
  7. This isn't entirely true... you can netfile your first return as long as the CRA has your name and DOB on fie. If they don't, then you have to file by paper, which seems to have been the case with the original poster. "You cannot use NETFILE to file your tax return if: you are filing an income tax and benefit return for the first time with CRA and the CRA does not have a complete date of birth for the taxpayer on record;"http://www.netfile.gc.ca/rstrctns-eng.html
  8. You don't owe anything at all to the government. In fact, they are going to mail you out a cheque (or direct deposit - whichever you have set up) for $1165.63. Your employer would have been taking income tax and other deductions off each of your paycheques and gave them to the government throughout the year. That's how they get their 15% tax, or whichever tax rate / bracket you fall into.
  9. You should have received two slips from your bank or place of investment that shows the total contributions from March - Dec, 2013 and for Jan-Feb of 2014. You should enter the values from those slips as your contribution values, but they should work out to be $5000 from Mar-Dec if you did $500/month, plus an additional $1000 for Jan-Feb if you contributed the same amount those months in 2014
  10. You need to enter what the slip says into UFile - $0.00. The maximum amount of EI insurable earnings is $47,400, so any income over $47,400 you do not pay any EI premiums on. You won't be penalized or charged more by entering 0.00 for box 24 for your second slip. This link talks about the increased rate for 2014, but shows the 2013 rate as $47,400: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/maximum2014.shtml
  11. It would be the first number you mentioned: undeducted contributions = unused RRSP contributions from your notice of assessment from last year. You will still need to enter your RRSP deduction limit from your last year's notice of assessment as well in the other spot. Hope that helps!
  12. What type of income does she have? Certain types of income are claimed by the higher-income earner, so even though she has some income, UFile may be transferring it over to you to comply with CRA rules. One example I can think of is EIA payments in Manitoba - they are entered under the person who's name is on the slip, but if the spouse's income is higher, the amount is transferred to the spouse.
  13. The WITB will be added automatically to your return by UFile. There are a number of conditions that wouldn't entitle you to claim it, so that could be why it isn't showing up for you. For instance, if you make more money than the threshold ($27k or so, I think??) or if you are a full time student, then you wouldn't be able to claim the WITB
  14. You can do it however you'd like .. either all as a family, or your child (presumably) can do their own return. Even if your 18 year old didn't have any income, they should still file a return so that they can get the GST credit.
  15. The very first option on the interview setup page should be "I had no income from any source in 2013" followed by "Employment income and employment insurance benefits (T4, T4E/RL-6)" Check off I had no income, and unselect the other options that were checked off by default under income.
  16. Jason

    error codes

    EFile error codes are here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4018/html/rc4018ch2-13-e.html If that's not what you were looking for, you'll have to be a little more specific with regards to which error codes you mean.
  17. 1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Medical and disability". 2- Then, in the page that appears on the right, click on "Disability claim for yourself (line 316)". 3- To answer the question "Are you eligible for the disability amount on line 316?", select "Claim disability amount" from the drop-down menu. 4- If you are a Quebec resident, a second menu will be generated from which you must select "Claim disability amount".
  18. You should be able to add the additional returns you purchased in the original installation of UFile. Open up UFile, and under the Tools menu, click on Add Extra Returns. You can then enter in the license key for your second installation there.
  19. If you complete both of their returns together, they UFile will calculate the amounts for you automatically. In one of your parent's return, under the "spousal interview type" select full. Then you cal click on "add family member", and then add a spouse where you can then enter the details about your other parent. I'm not actually at my computer right now (stuck at work ) so the exact names of the sections I mentioned might be a little different.
  20. Jason

    Tuition Deductions

    another point to look at is the working income tax benefit. Before you enter your tuition fees, you may have been entitled to the WITB, and the program would have added this in for you. Unfortunately, if you are a full time student, you are not eligible for the WITB, so the program would have taken this credit away from you resulting in a lower return. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/wtb/menu-eng.html
  21. The only way to carry forward your data from last year is to do so by the file saved in ufile ending in .u12. Unfortunately, you won't be able to import the data from a pdf file.
  22. Jason

    efile error

    I'm sorry to hear that this problem is persisting for a couple of you! I think it would be best to send an email to UFile's support (support@ufile.ca) and let them know what error you are getting. They'll send you instructions on how to send them a copy of your return so that they can see the specific errors you are getting.
  23. Jason

    Cannot netfile.

    That sounds like a weird error! I am thinking you should contact UFile support - they will give you instructions on how to send them a copy of your tax file so they can take a look at it. http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/contact-us/contact-us.aspx
  24. Jason

    efile error

    There should be a link next to the error message saying "click here to fix" or something like that. Clicking on that link will bring you to the page where you need to confirm for the spouse / dependent. At the bottom of that page, there is a drop down box next to the questions to confirm their net income is nill - just select "yes" for the pertinent case. Seems to be a new requirement from CRA this year - I don't remember ever seeing this in the past!
  25. It looks to me that line 236 should include your world income. The foreign employment income would be entered on line 104 (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/104/frgn-eng.html) which is then added in with your Canadian income and other income to come up with the figure on line 236.
© 2013 ImpôtExpert, Thomson Reuters. Tous droits réservés. Politique de confidentialité
  • Create New...