Français

I can't figure out my residency status

Sarahscot

If someone can help *fingerscrossed*

I'm trying to determine my residency status for 2014 taxation purposes.

Last Year (2014) I lived and worked in the UK for more than 90% of the year on a temporary visa. I came back to Canada Dec 12th when my visa expired. I plan on returning to the UK when it is possible, but immigration is going to take some time (about a year). I am getting married in the UK (my fiancé is British) and will reside there once I fulfill all the requirements for immigration.

Facts:

Was in the UK for 2 years

Did not have a residence in Canada during this time but maintained a mailing address

I have bank accounts in both countries

Passport and drivers licence in Canada only

I have limited belongings (small things that aren't considered assets) in both countries, but most in the UK

I have been paying taxes in the UK (whether I am suppose to or not is undetermined)

I was a temporary resident of the UK and while I plan on returning, I currently have no immigration status in the UK

I can tell residential statuses are a bit subjective… I still can't figure out where I stand. Factual resident, ordinary resident, deemed non-resident…. 

If anyone can help and has some confidence on the matter I'd be so grateful. 
Thank you!
-Sarah

To determine your residency status, you must first contact the CRA to obtain their views, either by contacting them by phone at 1-800-267-5177 if calling from Canada or the United States, or by consulting the following sites:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/rsdncy-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/nr74/

If you are a factual resident of Canada for tax purposes, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Interview setup".

2- In the section "Other personal situations" on the page to your right, check the box for "Immigrant, emigrant or non resident taxpayer", and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator", select "Immigrant, emigrant, non-resident" and, on the screen to your right, choose the line "Information about your residency status".

4- On the page "Information about your residency status", on the line "Information about residency status", choose the option "Factual resident" from the drop-down menu to your right and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

5- Enter the information necessary to complete your return.

Federal Schedule D will be generated by the program.

If you are a deemed resident of Canada for tax purposes, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Identification".

2- On the "Family head identification" page, you must complete all fields.

3- For the line "Province of residence on December 31, 2014 ", select the option "Deemed resident" from the drop-down menu to your right and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

4- Enter the other required information to complete your return.