Français

Medical Expenses -QC

rural_cdn

I noticed online, when entering an amount from Box J on Releve 1, that the ufile claims the amount is a benefit, which is included in Box A.

This is correct, as it is the amount paid to a private health plan by the employer on behalf of the employee.

But ufile also claims it is a medical expense deduction and will be added to medical expenses. This isn't correct in my case.

Luckily it doesn't add it anyway.

I do have a box 235 on the Releve 1, that is the amount that should be used for the medical expenses. There was no option to add this box to my Releve 1.

I did have the option to add the amount in Box 85 on my T4, which correctly added the amount to my medical expenses.

It was all confusing.

On the Quebec return, since employer-paid premiums for health and dental insurance is treated as taxable benefit it is indeed a legitimate medical related expense and could/should be claimed. )This is not the case though for the federal return where only a employer-paid group life insurance premium is treated as a taxable benefit.) Any employee-paid premium for health and dental can be claimed as a medical expense on both the Quebec and federal returns. It is too bad that Ufile does not allow you to see the details on Schedule 3 of the Quebec return (nor the underlying details on the federal return).

Archived