Français

medical expense error

WaWaKer

I'm having a similar problem with medical expenses.  Though I'm entering them and they qualify as per rules, they are not getting pick up/showing on the Return. I went back a few years and they had not been picked up either.  I'm also not using a typical calendar year as my dates.

I have read at least one thread reported about this error dated in February 2014, probably referred to taxation year 2013 or earlier.

I have double checked taxation years 2015 to 2018, all WERE incorrectly processed by UFILE software.

I am rather surprised that UFILE is allowing this type of elementary mistake continue to remain uncorrected for so many years!

22 hours ago, Joyce2 said:

I'm having a similar problem with medical expenses.  Though I'm entering them and they qualify as per rules, they are not getting pick up/showing on the Return. I went back a few years and they had not been picked up either.  I'm also not using a typical calendar year as my dates.

Hello Joyce2, if you are interested in knowing how do I deal with this issue, please email my gmail. wawaker

I have written a note to the ufile support department as below. I would like to alert and share with other users my concerns of the error.

Dear Support@ufile.ca:

As per the link below, I posted a UFILE error in processing medical expenses.

http://community.ufile.ca/topic/7846-medical-expense-error/

Antoine7 (UFILE administrator) has replied with screen shot of “Last Date of Medical Expenses” with filled-in entry of 30/11/2018 without further explanation.

I had read the instruction for “Last-Date-of-Medical-Expenses”. It says: “… The program will ignore any medical expenses entered with dates that are after the cut-off date entered below.”

According to your instruction, the program will ignore any medical expenses entered with December 1, 2018 or later, and so on. This has nothing to do with the expenses entered (occurred) for the preceding year, which is 2017. I believe ufile needs to explain clearly, what the instruction is about.

Ufile’s incorrect processing for the previous years had caused losses of claim and inconveniences for the clients.

Hereby, I request ufile to address this issue. Please forward/escalate my concern to your appropriate department.

Thank you.

Yours truly,

(name & address redacted)

Hi,

For which period can you claim these expenses? You can claim eligible medical expenses paid in any 12-month period ending in 2018 and not claimed by you or anyone else in 2017. For a person who died in 2018, a claim can be made for expenses paid in any 24-month period that includes the date of death if the expenses were not claimed for any other year.

For additional information, use the following link:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pub/rc4065/rc4065-18e.pdf

• 1 year later...

Mystery Solved.  I had the same issue.

Solution:

- you must add the end date of the 12 month medical period per Antoine7 above.  I found this subtle and annoying.

- the same date must be entered on the spousal return

- order of entry doesn't seem to matter as long as the medical end date is entered.  ie if last date is May 22, 2019 it will pick up the previous 12 months on the medical entries

- noticed were were out on the 2018 return also because of this date

- one would think the coding would have reflected a 12 month period based on the dates entered on the medical entry form, but guess not

Hope this helps someone out there.

Archived