Français

T777S

rchoe

I haven't started my 2020 return, yet --- but I am looking into the T777-s form.  It seems that another platform "intuit turbo tax" already has lots of information about it on their webpage.   I may switch this year if UFile doesn't step up their game.

I read in another post that UFIle sometimes lags implementing new forms - late February, and in one instance April before forms were available.

I'll wait until my T4s and whatnot are ready before I decide to jump or not -- that's usually mid-February anyway

For those saying that TurboTax already has the forms, don't rush into changing.  I used TT for many years, and 2 years ago, I had to wait until April for the forms for something to be available.  It was crazy.  Just because they have the form, doesn't mean it's approved by the feds yet.

I switched to UFile starting with 2019 taxes because I was so fed up with TT.  I had unresolved problems several times.  I will say, though, that I did love being able to use the Forms directly.  For those who know what they are doing, it's nicer than the interview style; but I totally understand that the Interview (easy) style is what works best for most people.

14 hours ago, Nawal said:

Hi rchoe, yes we will. The subsections T777-S regarding the deduction for home expenses will be available in the new version of UFile 2020 from February 2021. They will appear in the section "Employment expenses"

Thanks for confirming Nawal!

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob R. Look for the data area under "Employment expenses (except home office expenses)". In the box under "Supplies" list the items and enter an amount.

You can deduct the cost of supplies that you paid for, or that were paid for you and included in your income. Supplies are only those materials you use directly in your work, and for no other purpose.

Supplies include items such as stationery items, stamps, toner, ink cartridges, street maps, and directories. Supplies do not include items such as briefcases or calculators.

You can deduct expenses you paid for long-distance telephone calls that reasonably relate to the earning of commission income. However, you cannot deduct the monthly basic rate for your home telephone.

Special clothing and tools - You cannot deduct the cost of special clothing you wear or have to wear for your work. You cannot deduct the cost of any tools that are considered to be equipment.

So it's Feb-28-2021 and I still do not see the line item on form T777S that allows me to enter the total number of days worked from home during 2020 due to COVID19. I am supposed to be able to enter a max 200 days to receive the calculated $ to field 9939 which would then report into field 22900.

When will this be possible in U-file? Or if you claim it is already there in the February 2021 update, how does one navigate there exactly?

Has anyone actually found the T777S (the detailed option) that allows for several periods of work from home? Or a form that shows Line 12, Line 5, Line 10, etc.?

I have the form from CRA (used their calculator) but cannot figure out how to put this into Ufile without going through the whole form again (and I guess doing it four times???).

I'm concerned with the results I'm getting for my T777S. When I use the CRA Tax Calculator, I get a deduction in the range of $1200-1300 when using the itemized form. But when I input the same numbers into UFile, I'm getting numbers more than 4 times higher.

Does UFile know something I don't?

I don't see how the program differentiates between maintenance costs 100% applicable to a dedicated workspace (e.g. painting supplies used for the workspace only) and maintenance costs that are shared with the rest of the home  (furnace maintenance, cleaning supplies).  Where do I enter the former costs?

That's confusing as this line is under the general subtitle of "Employment Expenses (except home office expenses):"

It should be broken out in the same way as the online calculator - "Expenses Paid for the entire home and work space", and "Expenses Paid for the Workspace Only".

I also assume that I need to create two T777S forms if I switched workspaces during the year so can do a separate calculation for each one?  Will the program sum the results of both in line 22900?

Hi Taxing-Return. Here is an excerpt from a CRA guide.

Change of work space

If you use different work spaces in your home, or you move to a new property, you will need to claim the expenses you paid for each work space separately. This is due to changes in the size and type of the work space, or finished area of the home.

Here is the link: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-229-other-employment-expenses/work-space-home-expenses/work-space-use.html#h-2-1

I assume the software will sum the results on line 22900.

Also Nawal from Ufile has posted a video on how to make the claim. Check out the banner at the top of this thread.

Hi there, when I fill in T777s flat rate method, and choose "yes" and put the number of days (for example 200) the tax credit calculations on the "review" section shows an amount of 4$ credited; not 400$. 

I, also, put different numbers in that spot and it seems like they all are divided by 100. For example, when I put 10 days, it credits an amount of twenty cents ( 10 * 2 /100). Can anyone help? 

2 hours ago, TheTaxSmith said:

Hello Tireless. At the top of this thread Nawal has added some instructions to help complete the form. Look for the red banner above.

Yes, I had done the exact same steps explained in the video. I assumed it's a calculation error but it's not. I could see the right numbers are calculated. 

Thank you!

Completing the T777S (detailed) for covid.. it asks for the estimated space used (12%) but this is never applied. The interview asks for TOTAL expenses (utilities, rent etc) and these total amounts are then transferred, unreduced to the tax form.

This appears to be wrong to me...

On 3/4/2021 at 7:42 AM, TheTaxSmith said:

Hi NMorgan. As many others have discovered you may have entered the percentage use wrong. Review that area as it appears the question and format in Ufile is opposite from the CRA calculator.

In plain speak, how do you enter it into Ufile then?

In the form for the "Detailed method for employee earning a salary" the section "Other" asks for "Employment income use for the calculation of work-from-home expenses".  Is this asking for my global income for 2020? (in my case box 14 in my T4) or is this asking for the work-from-home allowance reported as income by my employer? Or something else?  Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm having the same issue as NMorgan. According to the CRA calculator, my line 22900 should be $1071, with percentage of expenses for work space at 23.81%

In Ufile, line 22900 is showing 4 times the amount.  

I've entered the % used for personal (opposite of CRA calculator) as stated by Ufile form, at 76%

The number looks more accurate when I divide the home expenses by 4.  Is this the correct way of inputting the home expenses (divide by 4)? Or is the Ufile calculator wrong?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 7:07 PM, TaxTax said:

In the form for the "Detailed method for employee earning a salary" the section "Other" asks for "Employment income use for the calculation of work-from-home expenses".  Is this asking for my global income for 2020? (in my case box 14 in my T4) or is this asking for the work-from-home allowance reported as income by my employer? Or something else?  Thanks!

Were you able to find an answer on this? is it the Box 14 on T4 amount? 

[EDIT: can ignore my above question. Found an explanation]

Archived