Français

Working in ON, Living in QC - Taxable health and dental benefit amounts for Quebec residents

Doruk

Hello, my wife works in ON while we are QC residents.

i filled her T4 on the website ,however we received a mail saying that "Taxable health and dental benefit amounts for Quebec residents"

which apparently i have to add with my taxes. However i do not see where i can add this on the website software?

Any help is appreciated.

thank you

Doruk

35 minutes ago, Nawal said:

Hi @Doruk, are you talking about the Quebec prescription drug insurance plan?

Hello, thank you for your reply.  it might be that but i am not sure. The mail i got doesn't mention that but says " Taxable health and dental benefit amounts for Quebec residents "

I work in QC and live in QC. i believe that amount on my side may be the   the RL1 Box J - Private health insurance plan.

But since my wife only gets t4 (working in ON) that option is not available in the software.

Hi Doruk.

What your wife received is a letter from the employer indicating the amount of the medical insurance/benefit paid by the employer. That amount is taxable as employment income in Quebec and will not appear on a T4 from Ontario. You have to add it to the Quebec employment income and also report it as a medical expense. I looked around Ufile for a place to enter it easily but could not find something. Nawal I am sure knows where it should be entered. It is not the Quebec Drug Plan, but it will most likely indicate to Quebec that you have a drug plan and will not have to pay into the Quebec plan.

2 minutes ago, TheTaxSmith said:

Hi Doruk.

What your wife received is a letter from the employer indicating the amount of the medical insurance/benefit paid by the employer. That amount is taxable as employment income in Quebec and will not appear on a T4 from Ontario. You have to add it to the Quebec employment income and also report it as a medical expense. I looked around Ufile for a place to enter it easily but could not find something. Nawal I am sure knows where it should be entered. It is not the Quebec Drug Plan, but it will most likely indicate to Quebec that you have a drug plan and will not have to pay into the Quebec plan.

Hello,

Thank you for your kind reply. Starting from the last, there is a drugplan page right at the beggining where we mention sjhe has her group plan.

For the benefits, i believe it is like you mentioned. However, like you said i cannot find where i will enter it in ufile. i tried calling them woth premium membership but i can't reach anyone even after 2 hour wait...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, Nmaki said:

Hello, In the same situation as above. Could you please share the info how to enter " Quebec Medical and Dental taxable benefit" when I only have T4 from Ontario? Thank you

Hello you can see what i was told by ufile below.

This is a workaround to do this. I am still not 100% sure but this is what i use and it definitely makes us owe more since it shows as additional income (In her case around 5k) just because of the benefits. Then you claim it as medical expenses but it still increases the overall taxes owed by about 1k.

"In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", by selecting "T4A and pension income" and then, on the screen to your right, choosing the line "T4A - Pension income (RL-2) with taxable benefits (RL-1)". Go all the way down to the page on "Taxable benefits" and enter the amount in box A and J."

If you found out anything else please let me know.

• 11 months later...

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your taxes. Navigating all the different rules and regulations can be difficult. I'm unfamiliar with the website software you're using, but have you tried looking under "deductibles"? Sometimes those benefits can be considered a deduction. If that doesn't work, contact the site's support team for help. They can point you in the right direction. I usually use a cosmetic dentist https://jeffreygrossdds.com/services/cosmetic-dentistry/ and have never had a problem. I hope you figure it all out soon, and good luck with that.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 11:07 PM, Doruk said:

Hello you can see what i was told by ufile below.

This is a workaround to do this. I am still not 100% sure but this is what i use and it definitely makes us owe more since it shows as additional income (In her case around 5k) just because of the benefits. Then you claim it as medical expenses but it still increases the overall taxes owed by about 1k.

"In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", by selecting "T4A and pension income" and then, on the screen to your right, choosing the line "T4A - Pension income (RL-2) with taxable benefits (RL-1)". Go all the way down to the page on "Taxable benefits" and enter the amount in box A and J."

If you found out anything else please let me know.  I was hesitant to start therapy, but after some encouragement from my friends, I decided to find a psychologist . I found a website that made the process so simple. All I had to do was enter my location and I was presented with a list of psychologists in my area. I was able to read through their profiles and even watch video introductions. I found a psychologist that seemed like a great fit and started my therapy sessions soon after. Thanks to that website, I'm on my way to a healthier state of mind.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure, really.