Français

Renovation Credits (Where to Input the total in Ufile for Windows)?

KarimKassam

I have made some repairs (renos) to my bathroom by getting some grab bars installed and I believe this can be claimed in the 2020 Taxes as Renovation Credits for Seniors. I tried to search within the software but was unable to get the location where I can input this.

Appreciate if someone can help me to clarify how and where I can apply the expense.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I was very confused about the how you want to claim option. When I let it default to claim my own it still claimed it on my spouse's return. I tried other options to see what ufile would do. Choosing spouse to claim also claimed it on my spouse. However even though both options claimed it on my spouse, I got two different calculations and results. Ufile changed other claims between us and the amount of split pension. I set up a spreadsheet to manually calculate my taxes and I also found that the split pension was not the optimum amount. So I tried to override the split pension amount. Ufile then changed other claims and the results were worse. When I manually changed those other claims back to what Ufile had before then I got the better result with my amount for split pension.

Bottom line Maxback is not working. I have been relying on it for many years now and I am worried that it has been costing $ instead of saving money. Maybe that's a different topic but it all started with the home accessibility claim.

Our (spouse and me) returns include pension income, charitable donations and infirm senior dependent with OAS and CPP income and medical expenses

• 1 year later...

What happens if I answer "No" to the question?

Note: If you answer "Yes" to the question "Is this expense an allowable federal medical expense?" this amount will be reported by the program in the medical expenses' section. No need to enter it manually in the "Medical and disability" section.

• 7 months later...

Why is this claiming the home senior tax credit on mine and my spouses when I only put it under his to claim?  You state above how to enter the senior home credit but it is not working correctly in my mind.  It should not be showing up in my non refundable tax credits and claiming the 15% as well.

Attention: If you wish to share this credit with the "Eligible individual" it is not necessary to complete the last section, 

I do not wish to share this I think this needs to be fixed in the program it is an issue claiming the amount twice.  It does not claim the medical I put in for my husband on mine so why is it claiming this home senior tax credit on mine?  

• 1 month later...