Jump to content

Building addition from previous years (CCA)


Recommended Posts

Hi, I own a couple rental properties that I purchased a few years ago.  I never input them as building additions for CCA purposes.  Can I add them in this year as building additions, subject to the 1/2 year rule? Or do I have to go back and re file my old returns and add them on the purchase year? Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi CamD, you can enter the ACB for the purchase as an opening UCC in the 1st column. The 1/2 year rule would not apply. If you get a call from CRA it's a simple explanation. Alternatively you can enter it as a new acquisition and select for the half year rule not to be applied. You need to separate the land portion from the building portion and you need to allocate the costs to acquire the property proportionately to the land and the building. Those costs are legal, survey, transfer tax, building inspection, CMHC fees, mortgage fees, etc. They are acquisition costs not expenses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...