Français

reporting rental income

RobinIsYoung

I'm reporting rental income from a property for the first time. I'm a co-owner with my husband and we're filing together.  I've added the Rental property income slip and filled out the relevant information. When I go the the Review page I get an error message saying 

The beginning and end dates entered for your business correspond to a fiscal period of less than 365 days (or 366 days for a leap year).
If this was the first year or the last year of operation of the business, blank.gifclick here and specify. Otherwise, blank.gifclick here to revise the dates for the beginning and end of the fiscal period. 

Both links take me to the Self-employment income slip. Does owning a rental property mean that I'm self employed? I don't know how to proceed so I don't keep getting the error message. 

Any help appreciated! 

Hi there - I am filing income taxes for a rental property for my very first time this year. If my husband and I co-own the property do we both claim the same income and expense amount totals on each of our returns? Or do I divide the amounts by 50% and enter them that way? (For example, annual rent collected was $10k, so do I report $10k on each of our returns or $5k on mine and $5k on his? Same goes for the expenses. We are filing taxes jointly). Thank you!