Français

living in another country

Javier

Hi,
I'm going to complete my taxes for 2021. I have a student visa.
I was living in Canada until November, then I moved to the United States where I am now.
In the section "current address", should I write the address that I had in 2021 in Canada? or my address where I live now in the United States?

You can use the address where you are actually living but in many cases as a student you may want to be consistent in where your mail is delivered. That would be the case if you believe you may move several times while a student. That said you need to determine your residency status.

"If your stay abroad is temporary and you have kept significant residential ties in Canada, you will generally be considered a factual resident of Canada." 

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc192/information-students-educational-institutions-outside-canada.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-1-residency/income-tax-folio-s5-f1-c1-determining-individual-s-residence-status.html

If you are in fact a non-resident you will need to file a Canadian return for the period 1 January 2021 up to the date you left. You will also need to file a US return. Make sure you are on side with the regulations.

• 6 months later...
On 4/14/2022 at 12:32 AM, Javier said:

Hi,
I'm going to complete my taxes for 2021. I have a student visa.
I was living in Canada until November, then I moved to the United States where I am now.
In the section "current address", should I write the address that I had in 2021 in Canada? or my address where I live now in the United States? 

In 2020, I lived in Greece for a while, I like the warm climate and the sea there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Then I purchased Cheap Business Class Flights Tickets to Thessaloniki And decided to live there for one year. Regarding taxes, Greece does not require taxes, I lived there in a hotel just as a tourist            

Write a Canadian address