Jump to content

living in another country

Recommended Posts

I'm going to complete my taxes for 2021. I have a student visa.
I was living in Canada until November, then I moved to the United States where I am now.
In the section "current address", should I write the address that I had in 2021 in Canada? or my address where I live now in the United States?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since you left Canada before Dec 31st 2021, you were no longer a resident for tax purposes. So if you are filing to recover taxes you paid, you need to indicate your date of departure and your current US address.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can use the address where you are actually living but in many cases as a student you may want to be consistent in where your mail is delivered. That would be the case if you believe you may move several times while a student. That said you need to determine your residency status.

  "If your stay abroad is temporary and you have kept significant residential ties in Canada, you will generally be considered a factual resident of Canada." 



If you are in fact a non-resident you will need to file a Canadian return for the period 1 January 2021 up to the date you left. You will also need to file a US return. Make sure you are on side with the regulations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...