Français

How do I access form TP-646 in ufile?

Hi

I have a similar question regarding the death benefit in Quebec.  It is the 2500$ payment from Retraite Quebec.  It is addressed to the 'Heirs of the deceased'.  I read here that it should not be inputted into the deceased tax file - does this 'heirs' imply that I should add it to my mom's (widow) tax file?

Thanks

The proper treatment would be to complete Estate tax returns and if beneficial flow through the death benefit to the beneficiaries tax returns, if however there is a single beneficiary both CRA and RQ will accept reporting on the beneficiaries returns instead. A death benefit can never be reported on the return of the deceased as it is not their income. So add it to the widows return unless you can achieve a lower tax amount by reporting it and paying tax on an estate return.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:39 PM, Mtl39 said:

Hi

I have a similar question regarding the death benefit in Quebec.  It is the 2500$ payment from Retraite Quebec.  It is addressed to the 'Heirs of the deceased'.  I read here that it should not be inputted into the deceased tax file - does this 'heirs' imply that I should add it to my mom's (widow) tax file?

Thanks

Yes, that is correct.  I called the Revenu Quebec and they advised as follows: 

* The $2500 is claimed by the inheritors.  So yes, your mom.

* This can be done in either of 2 options.  1-Claim the $2500 in the Death Benefit box   OR 2- If the $2500 affects the tax owing, complete the form TP-646. 

But this is where I'm at a standstill. I do not know how to get to that form in Ufile.  I called customer service and they are not able to help me. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

On 4/14/2022 at 7:48 PM, TheTaxSmith said:

The proper treatment would be to complete Estate tax returns and if beneficial flow through the death benefit to the beneficiaries tax returns, if however there is a single beneficiary both CRA and RQ will accept reporting on the beneficiaries returns instead. A death benefit can never be reported on the return of the deceased as it is not their income. So add it to the widows return unless you can achieve a lower tax amount by reporting it and paying tax on an estate return.

I understand this, and need to complete the TP-646 (Trust Income Tax Return).   BUT, I cannot figure out how to do that in Ufile.  Can you help?

Thanks