Français

Not sure if I should fill out the "Immigrant, emigrant, and non-resident"

Kevin Tan

Hello, 

I became a permanent resident in Canada last year, 2021. Before that I have been living in Canada for more than 8 years. So I'm pretty confused on the information that "Immigrant, emigrant, and non-resident" would ask. It asks "Canadian sourced income (excluding Part XIII income) earned when you were not a resident of Canada". The thing is I stayed in Canada for 11 months (the rest month I was in travel), I'm sure I am factual resident and I did not have any income in foreign countries. So I have no idea if I'm supposed to fill out this. Besides, my spouse became PR with me at the same time, while she have also stayed in Canada for long time and has Canadian job. So we both not sure how to fill out this. Thank you for anyone who can help answer my question!

On 4/14/2022 at 4:35 PM, TheTaxSmith said:

Ok complete the return as a resident. Indicate you are not a Canadian citizen. No need to deal with any immigration stuff. Make sure you enter all your world income if you have income from other countries. Your wife needs to do the same.

Hello, I became a Canadian PR in 2021 but I haven been living in Canada since 2019, filed tax returns since 2019. However I never received the GST/QST credit nor Ontario trillium benefit or climate action incentive. How should I file tax return for 2021 to get all those credits ? Thank you so much for your help!