Français

Line 30400 – Amount for an eligible dependant in shared custody

Christiane

Situations where you cannot claim the amount for an eligible dependant:

Someone else is claiming an amount on line 30400 of their return for this dependant. If you and another person can both claim this amount for the same dependant (such as in the shared custody of a child) but cannot agree on who will claim the amount, neither of you can make the claim.

Where in Ufile do I make the choice of whether or not to claim an eligible dependent? I have two eligible dependents, and only see one of them on Schedule 5 (and line 30400). In the scenario where I cannot claim an eligible dependent, would I need to delete their information completely for a given year within my Ufile file for tehtat year? 

In the dependent's interview section there is a drop down box for eligible dependent. Response is either yes or no. If you have 2 or more dependents the claim will only be for one. In a future year you would respond again to that question. If you select No there will be no claim. So no need to delete the dependent's file and set it up should you be eligible for the claim in future.