Français

Entering NR4 slips

Geoffrey

I became a non-resident in 2022 so have a combination of T4A and NR4 slips to enter. I have completed all the steps in the Interview suggested in a previous answer but there is no NR4 form. No problem for the T4A slips but I cannot enter my NR4 info.

These were the steps:

On the right-hand side of the screen, check the box for "Immigrant, emigrant, non-resident taxpayer, you are a Canadian resident and your spouse immigrated to Canada in the year".  Also check the box for "Pension income, other income and split pension income (T4A, T4A(OAS), T4A(P), T4A-RCA, T4RSP, T4RIF, T1032" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the left side menu on the "Interview tab" and choose the item "Immigrant, emigrant, non-resident".

4- On the screen to your right, choose the line "You were a non-resident of Canada for all of 2020 and you are making an election under s. 217 of the Income Tax Act".

5- On the page that appears, enter the details of your situation.

6- Return to the left side menu on the "Interview tab" and select "T4A and pension income"

7- On the screen to your right, choose "T4A(OAS) - Old age security pension income" and enter the amounts in the corresponding fields.

The program will generate Schedule C, "Electing under Section 217 of the Income Tax Act".

If you have an election under section 217, because you successfully submitted an NR5, then as a non-resident you will have to file a return for the next five years. So CRA will consider the NR4’s as T4’s. Just use the T4 dialogue.