Français

CPP and QPP - Moved from Ontario to Quebec

Raf

Hello,

I moved from Ontario to Quebec last year, and I got two T4s, one for Ontario and another one for Quebec, and one RL-1 for Quebec (all from the same employer).

In my T4 for Ontario, on box 16 there is an amount for Employee's CPP contributions, and box 26 there is another amount for CPP/QPP pensionable earnings. The amounts on boxes 16 and 26 match the amounts of my RL-1 on the "Additional Information" section, boxes B-1 and G-2 respectively (which is related to CPP, right?).

In my T4 for Quebec, box 16 is blank, but there is an amount on box 17 for Employee's QPP contributions, and box 26 there is another amount for CPP/QPP pensionable earnings. The amounts on boxes 17 and 26 match boxes B and G of my RL-1 respectively (related to QPP).

It seems that I cannot put both CPP and QPP information in the same entry.

Would anyone know what I should do in this case? How many entries should I have? I'm very confused...
Could you help me, please?

Thanks in advance!

Good day Raf,

I understand that while in Ontario you were contributing to CPP and while in Quebec you contributed to QPP.
You need two (2) Employment pages to take care of your situation.

1) a T4 income earned outside Quebec page
Use that page to enter the data from your T4 Ontario (Box 10 shows ON)

2) a T4 and RL-1 income earned in Quebec with QPP contributions page
Use that page to enter the data from your T4 Quebec (Box 10 shows QC) and your RL-1

Forget about Boxes B-1 and G-2 of the RL-1.
They should not be there as they are required only for someone who is contributing to CPP while employed in Quebec.
This is typically the case for members of the RCMP and of the military who are stationned in Quebec.

You will see in your Return package Form RC381 that shows the calculations for your CPP and QPP contributions.

Hello Raf,

For members of the RCMP  and of the military residing in Quebec,
 - their T4 shows an amount in Box 16
 - their RL-1 shows amounts in Boxes B-1 and G-2 only.
In UFile they use a T4 and RL-1 income earned in Quebec with CPP contributions page.

Note that in your federal return 45% of the federal income tax withheld in Ontario is transferred to your Quebec return.
 - federal, page 8, line 43800
 - Québec, page 4, line 454

45% is the maximum transferrable.
Should you wish to transfer a lesser amount, look for Instalments and tax transfer in the Interview setup