Jump to content

Shareholder in a private company


Recommended Posts

Was wondering how does one report partial ownership of a private business (located outside of Canada) in personal tax return ? 

There was no any dividend or money received during the whole period while being a shareholder. The company is owned by family member, so names were simply used as one of the shareholders for the private company. There were never any fund received from the company. Only a name was attached as a shareholder. 

How does one go about reporting such "ownership"? 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello PeteH,

Are you requesting information for a foreign tax return or for a Canadian tax return?  We can only provide guidance when using a Canadian tax return. 

Our guidance is limited to the use of our software and "how to" questions. If you have specific tax questions we would suggest a call to the CRA 1-800-959-5525 (Corporate telephone number). You may also engage the services of an accountant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Maggie, 

Thanks for your response. I am referring to the tax return in Canada with a partial ownership to a private company located outside of Canada. In this case, does one need to include the partial ownership in his/her Canadian tax return even though there was never any dividend, salary etc. received from the foreign company (ie. merely hold partial share ownership; no financial involvement to the company)


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...