Jump to content

Forcing childcare deductions to the higher-earning parent

Recommended Posts

Hi there -- last year for a month, my spouse was in hospital recovering from surgery. Based on what I saw on the CRA site, this applies here:


You can claim the childcare expenses as the person with the higher income if one of the following applies to your spouse or common-law partner: b. they were not capable of caring for children because of an impairment in physical or mental function. They must have been confined for a period of at least two weeks to a bed or wheelchair, or as a patient in a hospital, or other similar institution. A statement from the attending physician certifying this information must be attached to the spouse's or common-law partner's claim.

I do indeed have such a statement from the attending physician, so I'm good there. But how do I make this happen in Ufile online?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Meagan,

There are special situations that allow you to claim child care expenses, even if your income is higher than your spouse's, for example, if you paid for child care expenses to attend school, or were actively seeking employment, or... then you can claim a deduction for child care expenses.

Please follow the steps below:

1- On the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2- On the page that appears on the right, go to the "Parents and children" group, check the box "Childcare (special cases)" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Childcare (special cases)".

4 - On the screen to your right, click on the plus "+" icon to the right of the line.

5 - A new page will appear and enter the information concerning your family.

6 - You must enter the childcare expenses in the child's file under "Child care".

For more information on this topic, please visit the following link.

For the CRA:


Childcare expenses will be reported on line 21400 of the federal return and for residents of Quebec, Schedule C will also be generated.

Also, we suggest you read the information from the CRA on Form T778 at the following link:


For Revenu Québec:


In addition, you may refer to Schedule C at the following link


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...