Jump to content

RRSP contribution change for 2021 tax year with pension-split that has not changed. How can I force ufile to REFILE?


Recommended Posts


I need to correct my RRSP contribution for the 2021 tax year. I followed the steps to enable REFILE (Federal & Quebec) then changed RRSP contribution. I noticed UFILE changed the pension-split amount which, in turn, created changes to my wife's tax returns (my wife receives a pension). This complicates my refiling because, 1) UFILE won't allow it, and 2) now my wife has to refile as well (i.e her "Deduction for elected split-pension amount" has changed).

So in an attempt to simplify my refiling, rather than Let MaxBack Decide the pension-split amount on my wife's return, I set the amount to what is was in the original filing. The result is now my wife's filing has not changed and does not need to refile. Unfortunately, UFILE still won't let me file, stating "the taxpayer is claiming a split pension amount". Although this is true, the amount has not changed. According to the CRA website, a "change to elected split-pension amount" is considered a Complex adjustment requests. But in my case, the amount has not changed.

How can I force UFILE to REFILE?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello David126,

Unfortunately, it is the CRA that will not allow a refile if you have a pension split, not UFile. 

You will have to send in a paper adjustment form.  You may also make the adjustment directly in your account with "My Account for Individuals"  


How to request an adjustment (Reassessment) to a tax return with UFile

You can use the program to make an adjustment to a tax return that has already been filed. Make sure you have received your notice of assessment before asking for changes to your return.

NOTE: We recommend that you keep your previously filed tax return and prepare separately an amended tax return based on the changes you make. Print this amended tax return and compare it with your original tax return. Take note of the line numbers that are affected, as you will need them when completing your adjustment request.

To do so, please follow these steps:
1- On the "Left-side menu of the Interview tab", click on "Interview setup".
2- On the page that appears to the right, scroll down to the "Other topics" section, check the box for "Adjustment request for a tax return that has been filed" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.
3- Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Adjustment request" at the bottom of the list and, on the right-hand side of the screen, click on the plus "+" symbol to the right of the form you need, either "T1-ADJ adjust a federal tax return" or for Quebec residents "TP-1.R adjust a Quebec tax return".
4- Select the "Taxation year" you want to correct from the drop-down menu to your right, and then enter the relevant information.
5- For the question "Line number of the jacket regarding the adjustment", choose the one that applies from the drop-down menu. Then, on the next two lines, enter respectively the amount that was claimed on the original tax return, followed by the revised amount to be claimed on the amended tax return.
6- If you have multiple lines to correct, click on "+ Add another" to add additional lines.
7- If you have additional information or explanations, fill out the bottom section. If needed, attach a separate sheet with your adjustment request by recording the necessary information. If applicable, provide also the corresponding line number for the credit.
8- For Québec residents who wish to amend both their federal and Québec returns, on the "Left-side menu of the Interview tab", click again on "Adjustment request" at the bottom of the list and repeat the procedure.
9- Once you have completed your adjustment request(s), click on the fourth tab "Tax Return".
10- Double check to make sure the adjustment request(s) are completed correctly. Then, click on the "Print" icon, choose the option "Selected pages" and on the list to the right, select the pages to print, i.e., the forms T1-ADJ (federal) and/or TP-1. R (Quebec). To select multiple pages, press and hold the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard when clicking the pages to print from the list. Finally, click on the button "Start printing".

Please note that you cannot submit an adjustment request electronically via NETFILE. You must print and mail the T1-ADJ and/or the TP-1. R. Be sure to sign your request(s) and provide all supporting documents.

Also, please make sure to include a telephone number where the CRA and/or Revenu Quebec may contact you during the day.

The CRA will send you a Notice of Reassessment once your adjustment request has been processed. Revenu Québec will do the same once they processed your TP-1. R form.

If you wish, you can also amend your tax return online by using "My Account" on the CRA website.


For more information, please visit the following links:

For CRA:


For Revenu Quebec:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...